BIN+CUE versus ISO+MP3

Status
Not open for further replies.
ISO's can be both modes.. cooked or raw... the same with BIN's...

I'd say that the only type of image that can be legitimately called an "ISO" is an ISO 9660 / ECMA 119/168 filesystem image, which by definition consists of the largest possible 2^n-byte sectors supported by the medium (2048 for all standard CD-ROM sector formats). The data added to a "cooked" image is Yellow Book / ECMA 130 data, and has nothing to do with ISO 9660 specifically.

nrg=good-less files to play with

cdi=would be good but discjuggler was the biggest fork in my eye

bin/cue=good, especially for a saturn leech like me :D

iso/mp3*wav*ogg*vqf=goes good with a cue sheet

img/sub/ccd=clonecd sux the big whale ****

a more inane look:

nrg=good for needing to make multiple copies

cdi=just like nrg but DJ sux

bin/cue=versital, and many programs can use

iso/music=only a perfectionist nutcase would realy care, sure sound quality is lost but not that much

img/sub/ccd=useless if a file is missing, and clonecd is dead anyway

just adding feul to the fire here

Originally posted by slacker52@Nov 27, 2003 @ 05:10 PM

iso/music=only a perfectionist nutcase would realy care, sure sound quality is lost but not that much

It isn't so much sound quality as it is data location.

With iso/mp3, the usual standard 'postgap 00:02:00 after track one' thing is used - but that's rarely the correct location for track 2, let alone all remaining audio tracks.

Also, elimination of iso/mp3 would remove all the dual data track problems.

Bin+Cue = best

NRG or Clone CD = second best

CDI = third best

Iso+mp3 = fourth best

Once again, bin/cue can't be the best, for two really simple reasons:

1. Can't maintain multisession info. [snip]

2. File structure isn't maintained fully. The allocation table and subchannel data aren't stored in bin/cue.

A Clone CD img is virtually a raw iso in disguise. Ever tried burning a clone cd img, then ripping the game you burnt as a raw iso+cue? File sizes are exactly the same and if you have ever renamed the original .img file to .iso, and burnt that along with the cue (no need for sub and ccd files) you will end up burning the exact same thing. And if it's a saturn game, rename the .img to .iso and satcon can read it. Why? Because Clone CD img files are just raw iso files in disguise! :devil

And yeah, Tagrineth, I agree with what you said before the snip. Perhaps Clone CD is the best after all (they keep multisession info and file structure, don't they?)

Bah I say beggers can't be choosers and since no one here is paying for the iso/mp3's or bin/cue's in question, we shouldnt' be debating which format is better or not.

I dunno that's just my thoughts

Err, I'm lost here :ph34r: If you rename a clone cd .img to .bin it wont be regonised, whereas .iso will be. Raw iso? Yes. If you have any mp3's with your iso then it's not raw. No?

And Gallstaff, this argument is no different from arguments about which compression program is the best. Doesn't really got anything to do with money.

CDI wasnt in the original choices, but i agree with tagrineth that it's a better format than bin/cue or iso/mp3. Plus you dont have to lurch around for cue files.

Well, .cdi or .nrg are the best options if perfection is what you're looking for. I don't use DJ, nor do I ever plan to, but I've never had any trouble converting to Nero format.

I've heard bad things about Nero 6, but I have no experience with it myself. I still use 5.5.x - does 6 burn DC homebrew OK? I don't care about burning illegal stuff.

What about Clone CD images? They include the multisession info, don't they?

id assume so, since the purpose of clone cd was to copy a cd as much as possible.

With iso/mp3, the usual standard 'postgap 00:02:00 after track one' thing is used - but that's rarely the correct location for track 2, let alone all remaining audio tracks.

i thought you could edit a cue sheet and kill that postgap :huh so
only a perfectionist nutcase would realy care
keeping in mind of course that im not perfectionist nutcase, just a nutcase :looney

Originally posted by mal@Nov 27, 2003 @ 10:33 PM

Jaded and Tagrineth, no DC copy talk please.

Hey, 'burning DC games' includes LEGAL homebrewn stuff too.

Edit: Added: Oh, and there's one fatal flaw that bin/cue and CloneCD have which automatically discount them from possibly being the best format: Lose the cue sheet or CloneCD control file, and your image becomes completely worthless.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Nov 28, 2003 @ 12:28 AM

Bah I say beggers can't be choosers and since no one here is paying for the iso/mp3's or bin/cue's in question, we shouldnt' be debating which format is better or not.

I dunno that's just my thoughts

Mmmm... If someone decides to serve, they might respect the opinion of majority about BIN/CUE instead of ISO/MP3 :)

If I'll ever finish setting up my Linux boxen, I might put up some donkey releases, and for sure they will be bin/cue exlusivly.

Edit: Added: Oh, and there's one fatal flaw that bin/cue and CloneCD have which automatically discount them from possibly being the best format: Lose the cue sheet or CloneCD control file, and your image becomes completely worthless.

Mmmm, I had impression that with cdmage or ISO Buster it is possible to rebuild .CUE from .BIN. I'll check this tomorrow.

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Nov 28, 2003 @ 07:05 PM

Oh, and there's one fatal flaw that bin/cue and CloneCD have which automatically discount them from possibly being the best format: Lose the cue sheet or CloneCD control file, and your image becomes completely worthless.

I love cue sheets. And btw, you have just as much chance at loosiing a cue sheet as you have with losing the bin itself! Bins are usually distrubuted with the cue, and if they aren't, then it's your fault for downloading the useless bin. Though, yes, with nero or dj, you only have one file to lose, which I guess makes it better?. Losing files shouldn't be the problem.

If I'll ever finish setting up my Linux boxen, I might put up some donkey releases, and for sure they will be bin/cue exlusivly.

Cheers :) Just don't burn iso+mp3's and re-rip them as bin+cues. You end up with the same quality file as the iso+mp3 except larger file size.

I totally love iso/mp3 (and for dual data-track games, I use Nero).

Why?

Because:

1. I got the postgap issue licked to where I can reliably make an iso/wav or iso/mp3 rip of a disc such that when burned back to CD, the audio tracks land exactly where they're supposed to. No 2-second shifting.

2. You guys are always quick to complain about sound quality degradation due to mp3 compression. Which I absolutely don't understand because a. given a good encoder and a high-enough bitrate (160 or 192) quality is virtually a non-issue, and b. while game music is important, it usually is only heard in the background while the game sounds take center stage, and c. you people don't complain about downloading your favorite music and albums in mp3 format, do you? So there. :p

I love iso/mp3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back