What CDR's to use for Saturn

I was wondering if anybody could tell me what brands of CDR's to use for backing up my Saturn games. I want to make sure my originals stay in mint condition. I quit gaming a while back. Before that I had a Saturn and working CDRS. Problem is, I can't remember which brands I used. I recently picked up a pack of memorex which do not work. I had no trouble in the past using the swap trick, so I'm pretty sure it's the cds. Also, if you know of a good place to order specific cds online, I would appreciate the info.

One other thing, does anyone know of any good sites that sell saturn imports? I know of buyrite and ncsx, but that's about it. I use ebay but would rather order from an actual online store. Things get lost in the mail, and there are scam artists out there I'd like to avoid.

I use Ritek CD-Rs. I got them on eBay, 100 for 17.95. Great quality disks, however it doesn't really matter with Saturn games. You should really get a modboard. Maybe you're burning them wrong, be sure you extract the data into bin+cue form. For that I'd recommend Golden Hawk CDRWIN 3.9.

For saturn imports, try:

Lik-sang.com

NCSX.com

therage.com (terrible selection on saturn games, but they have good service)

importgamesjapan.com (never ordered from, them but heard they were good)

Avoid Buyritegames like the plague

I've always had good experiences with Fuji and Imation.

Fuji's made in Japan are the best you can get

You might be burning the games wrong. Because I use Memorex CDRs and they work fine for me. Make sure you patch the games if they are for a different region.

I've used all kinds of different brands. If it's not working, then you're either doing the swap trick wrong, or you're burning them wrong.

You don't have to patch the area code. You can use the swap trick to play imports. That's how I played soukyugurentai after I sold my 4-in-1. BTW I used the swap trick on a usa system with an original copy of souk, not a burned copy.

I've never had this problem. I had a Saturn before, and had around 25 burned games that all worked great. I know how to burn, it has to be these cdrs, I mastered the swap trick. I got it to work every time with my last saturn.

Anyways, Thanks for the info.

One last thing, where can I get my Saturn modded at? I tried doing it myself a long time ago and screwed up my saturn. Is there anywhere that sells modded saturns?

I heard from PS2newz that there's this "reflection rate" that determines how good CDR are. Most CDs(silver) made from factories gives 90-100% reflection. CDRs are usually lower than 40-50%. But if it's burned with high quality CD writer(Pioneer) and CDR(Verbatim) the reflection rate is higher. I don't know what software they use to check the reflection of cds but there definitely pros..

btw did you write your CD at lowest speed??

I havd about 25 backed up games.

I tried many different brands and all worked ok but cheaper varietys tended to not last due to the cheap silk screening on the upper surface.(peeled away).

Intresting to note is that a lot of the CDR manufacturers get there disks from the same supplier?

Check some of the brands and you will notice that they come from exactly the same place,just under a different name.

One thing i do use are CD LABELING STICKERS.these do help in adding more surface area to the upper part of the cd and hence more Laser reflectivety down below.

Also if you coat the edge of a cd with PERMENANT GREEN PEN this will aid the error correction cuircuitry in any player.

Its a common tweek in hi fi.

Thanks,

Ian.

I've been using memorex CDRs (silver top). Burned 30+ games without 1 coaster. I've had nothing but bad luck with the "cool" color CDRs that you can find really cheap. Avoid those if you can.

i´m new here.

Did Sega saturn read copy cd´s?

Ex: I have a lot of games, and a friend of mine too.If i copy a cd of my friend to me, it works in Saturn ??

Sory my English....i´m portuguese.

Not without having a mod board installed or performing 'the swap trick'.

Originally posted by bellotto@Jan 15, 2004 @ 02:22 AM

You don't have to patch the area code. You can use the swap trick to play imports. That's how I played soukyugurentai after I sold my 4-in-1. BTW I used the swap trick on a usa system with an original copy of souk, not a burned copy.

Mmm, Game Not Suitable for System messages are hellishly fun to play.

I use TDK 80 min CD-Rs and they work fine. I burn them on my old Plextor 4X CD-R at max speed (20 min a CD; I can wait) and they come out fine every time. I'm using a hard modded Saturn 2.

Originally posted by croft@Jan 15, 2004 @ 10:42 AM

One thing i do use are CD LABELING STICKERS.these do help in adding more surface area to the upper part of the cd and hence more Laser reflectivety down below.

Labels have also been known to cause CDRs to degrade quicker

Is it necesary to write so slow? I write at 16x and they always turn out fine.

Originally posted by mountaindud@Jan 16, 2004 @ 12:08 AM

Is it necesary to write so slow? I write at 16x and they always turn out fine.

To ensure you don't have a 'bad burn', then burn at slow speeds. It's not nessesary, if you can aford a bad burn every now and again.

Ripping, however, low speeds are nessessary to ensure good rips.

I rarely burn stuff above 8X even though my burner supports higher.

I'm rarely in that much of a hurry

Originally posted by CrazyGoon@Jan 16, 2004 @ 12:31 AM

Ripping, however, low speeds are nessessary to ensure good rips.

Aye. I got a low-quality image for.. *ahem* another console, and even a 1x burn simply WILL NOT start on original hardware. Other games at least RUN...

I burn at 4x. I've always burned at 4x, and before I quit gaming I never had any problems.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

If the swap trick is performed with perfect timing, u can play imports. I've done it and would be glad to show anyone in the Omaha area. I time it in my head, after hearing the lens start to move. Listening dosen't prove to be as effective.

Back