Getting new fans...

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Mar 19, 2004 @ 06:43 PM

COOL STUFF!

hehe -- get it? "cool"? HEHE

ok sorry -- couldnt' resist.

Anyway, those ideas look simple enough -- might give those a try and save myself some money instead of buying some adapters.

Yeap yeap, cool indeed. Don't melt anything though :D

Anyway, I prefer adapters, but it isn't hard to ghetto rig stuff up. Just hook it to 12V like it says, if that's your plan. Although... just so you know, if you have free case fan headers on your mainboard, just plug it into those. It really isn't a problem for lower RPM fans like that, they don't draw a lot of amps. That would definitely be the easiest solution, and I don't *think* your board will care that they don't report speed.

well I have two fans to hook up and I think I only have one plug on my mobo.

Just curious, I don't suppose there is a way to hook two fans up to 1 set of PSU wires?

Originally posted by racketboy@Mar 19, 2004 @ 09:55 PM

well I have two fans to hook up and I think I only have one plug on my mobo.

Just curious, I don't suppose there is a way to hook two fans up to 1 set of PSU wires?

Yes, and the clean way is a Y splitter that you buy from someplace. If the fans draw too much power (which yours don't) you can actually have them spin slower. My friend was running too many off one cable and you could see the difference, I gave him an extender so he could bring a second plug to the bottom of his case (he was relying on a daisy-chain to make it to the bottom).

Anyway, you can either get a 4-pin Y-splitter and then either ghetto-rig them or buy a pair of fan adapters, OR you could just get this. As you can see from the second picture, it has two 5V and two 12V connectors (you only need two anyway). The only thing is, I don't know what voltage your L1As run at. Just look at the colors, they're slow so they may want to run at 5V by default. That adapter has both, so you're set either way.

Now that you mention it, I think I have a spare y-spliter.

Maybe I'll ghetto rig that. That will be nice so I don't have to rip up my actual PSU wires

Yeah, that'd be for the best ;)

But like I said, make sure you find out what the correct voltage is. Don't want to overvolt your fans.

silenx fans are the quietest, zallman are the best for airflow but have some noise. ill be putting 4 zallman 80cm fans in my rig. one on my shiny new p4 2.6c thats on its way.

Originally posted by Dyne@Apr 12, 2004 @ 07:23 PM

silenx fans are the quietest, zallman are the best for airflow but have some noise.

You mean the best airflow of the quiet fans. Heh, I'm pretty sure I can get more airflow out of a 6000RPM monster-loud fan. Although actually, I think Vantec Stealth has the best airflow/sound ratio on the quiet end of fans.

Back