Getting new fans...

Pearl Jammzz

Established Member
Ok, so I finally got sum money so I cna get new fans for my PC. I only have the stock 2 Antec ones and they make my PC loud as hell. I need sumthing a little quiter and I have heard that noise stacks. SO, I am wondering what set of Panaflos to go w/.

The first choice is 2 intake and 2 exhaust Panaflo L rated fans. These are around 21dba. Then run a M rated Panaflo on the CPU. These pump more air, but in return create more noise (28dba I think). Do you think this would be louder than my current setup?

2nd choice would be 4 L rated fans total. 2 exhaust, 1 intake, one on the CPU. I am wanbting to OC my CPU up a lil bit so that's why I want the best cooling I can get w/ the least ammount of noise (dry cooling that is). Do you this this would be pretty quiet yet cool enough? Do you think a M rated fan wouldn't make hardly anymore noise (it'll be in the case as a HSF)?

Any thought would be great :). Just tryin to make my PC the best it can be and make it so I can leave the PC on at night, haha. Thanks guys.

So they come w/ the connectors to connect them to the mobo?

and Curtis, go w/ the 4 L-rated ones? 2 exhaust, 1 intake, 1 for HSF?

I wouldn't put one on a HS if it's not one particularly designed for low airflow. I was thinking 2 intake, 2 exhaust.

Yeah, get an M rated for the HS, it should still be plenty quiet through your case.

I personally am looking foward to seeing how Cooler Master's upcoming "Hyper 6" cooler will do against existing (very excellent) similar solutions, such as the n-Power NPH-2. That is, unless I decide to invest in a better case and watercooling, but I think a new GPU has priority.

I decided i'll get the 10-pack of those fans....I'll eventually use em all. Anyone know a good cheap place to get the M-rated fan and sum Artic5 (a place that has both...cost 3 arms and 5 legs to ship from 2 dif places)

Directron.com has Arctic Silver 5, and Panaflo M/L fans. However, they charge you $2 extra for a molex connector on the panaflo fans. FrozenCPU has the compound and the fans too (again, appears that you need to buy a connector, but its a bit cheaper), along with a lot of other stuff. Good accessories, filters, dampeners, etc.

At FrozenCPU: 4 L-rated fans, 1 M rated, and a 3.5g syringe of Arctic Silver 5 to my door would cost me $58 including ground shipping.

K -- I got my 2 Panaflos today.

Now, I'm trying to decide where to hook them up.

I heard (in the thread I linked above) that it's not good to hook fans up to the mobo, but directly to the PSU. If I remember right, I have plugs on my mobo for fans.

Which direction should I go, and why?

Teach me, PC gurus wiser than I.

The only reason not to plug Panaflos into a motherboard is that they have no RPM monitoring function. I guess some motherboards might complain if they can't measure the speed of the fans. Anyway, it's probably less messy to plug them into a spare power supply connector - remember - red is +5v, yellow is +12v.

I believe he's talking about the colours of the wires coming from the PSU.

You know, the ones that you hook up floppies and HDs to.

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Mar 19, 2004 @ 03:44 AM

I think he means the relivance of the numbers.

Right, like running a 12V fan at 5V. It would run way too slow, if at all (those things are pretty slow to begin with).

But if the dead-silent L1As are 12V... and you run them at 5V... you're just dropping their RPM from "quiet slow case fan" to "well it spins, but too slow for the human eye". So he has to look. Shoot, there are adapters! Just buy an adapter... sheesh...

Back