Game opinions.

I’m thinking about getting these PS-2 games.

I would like to read some opinions before I go and waste money on crap like SC2 again.

Air Combat 4

Altered Beast

Armored Core 2, 3

Capcom VS SNK 1, 2

CastleVania - Lament of Innocance

Dead or Alive 2 - (I have the DC version)

Ecco The Dolphin

Guilty Gear X, X2

Marvel VS Capcom 2

Mega Man X7

Shinobi

Tekken 4

Time Crisis 2, 3

Vampire Night - With Light Gun

Virtual On Marz

Virtua Fighter 4 - Evolution

Wipe Out Fusion

Shoot Em Ups

------------------

Choaniki: Sei Naru Protein Densetsu

DoDonpachi Daioujou

Gradius V

R-Type Final

Shikigami no Shiro

Shikigami no Shiro 2

Star Soldier

XII Stag

Any other Shoot Em Ups missing from the list?

I hate short games.

my two cents, rtype, PERFECT...gradius, looks great.... get that as well, and cap cvs.... GREAT..... hope this helps.

Mega Man X7 is a disaster area. X6 was probably the best X game to date...

Guilty Gear X2 is pure awesomeness incarnate.

Lament of Innocence is surprisingly good.

Gradius V looks incredible. The Vic Viper returns, and has never looked better! :D

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Jan 10, 2004 @ 11:32 PM

Mega Man X7 is a disaster area. X6 was probably the best X game to date...

Can't stand any X's after 3. Actually, I can bare 4, but 5 is utter crap (c'mon, they even used bubble crabs music (from x2) in one of the levels... ) and both 5 and 6 have crappy bosses with even crappier names (duft mcwhalen, anyone? x6 is just a joke).

Ecco is a nice loong game. But it would be cheaper to get on DC. Plus, if Virtual On: Marz is similar to the original then it would be worth picking up aswell.

I'll only comment on the ones I know about:

Armored Core 2, 3 - meh, unless you're a big fan of mech games.

Capcom VS SNK 1, 2 - both good, I prefer the second although it doesn't seem to have the same intensity.

CastleVania - Lament of Innocance - supposedly quite good.

Dead or Alive 2 - (I have the DC version) - Stick with the DC version or if you really want an upgrade get the DC LE version, which is the best available.

Ecco The Dolphin - Excellent game, but I don't think there's any improvement over the DC ver.

Guilty Gear X, X2 - Hell yeah!

Marvel VS Capcom 2 - Excellent while it lasts, but gets old quick once you've unlocked everything (unless you have friends who enjoy it)

Mega Man X7 - boo, unfortunately

Shinobi - excellent.

Tekken 4 - double boo.

Virtual On Marz - haven't played, but I hear it doesn't live up to VOOT.

Virtua Fighter 4 - Evolution - excellent, but only if you have others to play with.

Shoot Em Ups

------------------

Choaniki: Sei Naru Protein Densetsu - hmm, above average, but not great.

DoDonpachi Daioujou - quite good, although I still prefer DDP.

Shikigami no Shiro 2 - excellent if you like the style

XII Stag - haven't played, but I've heard mixed reviews.

Originally posted by CrazyGoon@Jan 11, 2004 @ 12:24 AM

Can't stand any X's after 3. Actually, I can bare 4, but 5 is utter crap (c'mon, they even used bubble crabs music (from x2) in one of the levels... ) and both 5 and 6 have crappy bosses with even crappier names (duft mcwhalen, anyone? x6 is just a joke).

Using Bubble Crab's music in X5 was intentional... and I agree that X5 was an embarrassment. All the bosses were way too easy.

Blame the localisation department on the names, btw. if you look in X5's US Manual, the names are all correctly translated in there. >_> BOO! HISS!

Names of bosses shouldn't be a measurement of quality though. X6's levels were pretty well designed (well, for the most part) and the game was psychotically hard in some areas (the Weapons Centre and the first part of the Magma Area come to mind).

And Zero was badass but not brokenly powerful like in X5. >_>

Oh, and saving reploids, while somewhat on the frustrating side, at least wasn't as sickeningly brutal as it is in X7. ;_;

And um... some of X6's bosses have names that don't suck. Blaze Heatnix is cool. =)

The King Of Fighters 00/01 is pretty cool. in 2000, i just look at the command list and figure out how to do the moves. The strikers in the game are good. Some of them are powerful and they are alot of help when playing. 2001, It's a little bit different than 2000. 2000 has battle ability points and 2001 has scoring.

I can only recommend Guilty Gear X/XX and VF4 Evo (although Final Tuned is on the way). Ace Combat sounds good though.

Get BOTH VFs! :thumbs-up:

I bought Evolution a month after I got VF4. I still play both. I've actually been playing more VF4, than Evo lately.

Air Combat 4 - Good game, if you like the Ace Combat series. Interesting storyline.

Capcom VS SNK 1, 2 - DO NOT BUY.

CastleVania - Lament of Innocence - Very nice game, enormous.

Dead or Alive 2 - If you have the Dreamcast version, it is really not worth buying.

Ecco The Dolphin - Boring game.

Guilty Gear X, X2 - Get XX or XX #Reload. Amazing games, one of the best fighters ever.

Marvel VS Capcom 2 - Entertaining fighting game, but pretty broken for competitive play.

Shinobi - Good action game, very hard at times.

Tekken 4 - Only if you like Tekken.

Time Crisis 2, 3 - Entertaining games, only if you have GunCon2.

Vampire Night - With Light Gun - Very good shooting game, really nice.

Virtua Fighter 4 - Evolution - Great game, very deep. You should get a joystick with it.

You should also buy Gradius V, I am currently playing it, and it is simply incredible.

Don't get tekken 4....get tekken tag (probably find for under $10 some where)

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 is one of my favorite games..but if you've got it for another system don't bother getting it again.

Armored core 3 is better than 2, but like some one said....if you aren't a mech fan, don't bother with either

Dead or Alive 2...good game, xbox's DOA3 is much better, rent DOA2 if you can find it.

Shinobi is mildly fun...I'd rent this one too, not worth buying

Virtua Fighter 4 is a solid game and can be found for cheap (less than $10)

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Jul 23, 2004 @ 08:10 PM

Air Combat 4 - Good game, if you like the Ace Combat series. Interesting storyline.

Capcom VS SNK 1, 2 - DO NOT BUY.

CastleVania - Lament of Innocence - Very nice game, enormous.

Dead or Alive 2 - If you have the Dreamcast version, it is really not worth buying.

Ecco The Dolphin - Boring game.

Guilty Gear X, X2 - Get XX or XX #Reload. Amazing games, one of the best fighters ever.

Marvel VS Capcom 2 - Entertaining fighting game, but pretty broken for competitive play.

Shinobi - Good action game, very hard at times.

Tekken 4 - Only if you like Tekken.

Time Crisis 2, 3 - Entertaining games, only if you have GunCon2.

Vampire Night - With Light Gun - Very good shooting game, really nice.

Virtua Fighter 4 - Evolution - Great game, very deep. You should get a joystick with it.

You should also buy Gradius V, I am currently playing it, and it is simply incredible.

Hey des, whats wrong with Capcom Vs. SNK?

Whoa... I just realized...

Look at the date of the thread...

January 10, 2004!

I'll reply to a little something it said though.

VF Evolution only great if you have other people? Yeah, if you only have other people that are good, and you're good as well.

I've been playing VF single-player for over half my life, and I rarely ever play Versus, because no one likes VF where I live. I have to FORCE my friends to play me sometimes. They don't want to play me, due to them knowing I'd just destroy them.

Heh, a friend of mine kept saying how he could beat me by button mashing "Virtua Fighter is a fighting game, it's all button mashing. They're all the same." I completely DESTROYED him in the first round, and he gave up. :lol: So much for button mashing eh?

For people like me, what makes VF so much fun, is knowing that you can improve, and get better. Besides, what really makes you deadly, is your mind. In VF's case, yor mind is the Ultimate Weapon.

VF is NOT for casual fighting game fans!

Trust me, one day I'll be able to take on the likes of Chibita, Ohsu Akira, and Ryan Hart.

Diran-kun (Sarah) vs Chibita (Lion)...

A lifelong VFer (Me), taking on his Idol (Chibita)...

Let's do it! :devil

its funny when you say CvS i think of the pharmacy chain store.

"DUDE you gotta invest in CVS. It's da best, better then the rest. Such as Eckards and Rx"

I just think that you can't really get good at VF (like most fighting games) unless you're playing against others. You may have beaten your friend, but would you be able to play at a competitive level? It's true that VF's AI is good, and there is the rank system as well as the single-player stuff in VF4, but no AI can match human competition. It's like saying you got good at Quake by playing bots all the time.

The thing about VF4:Evo is that the quest mode is excellent and makes 1 player far more fun then many fighters. If you could get to tournament level playing 1p I'm not so sure, but at least you'll have fun trying.

Originally posted by Shitface@Jul 23, 2004 @ 11:46 PM

Hey des, whats wrong with Capcom Vs. SNK?

Capcom vs SNK (1) is slow, the distances are badly proportioned, overall, the system is has many flaws.

Capcom vs SNK 2 is better, but pretty broken, the roll-cancels, Blanka, and same distance problems make it unbalanced for competitive play. But, in the other hand, it is a good game if you are just looking for entertainment.

it290, you are completely right on that, the only way to actually get better is by spending hours and hours playing against HUMAN enemies. The same applies to any other truly competitive fighting game.

Back