XBOX DVD-Rom replacement

lordofduct

Established Member
2 of my friends had there DVD-ROMs go on their XBOXs. I knew about the Samsung 616F/T mod and told them if they wanted I would do it for them. My buddy Mantrozozozozos said he'll take the dive as it was only 30 bucks for the drive and I could learn on his expense.

YEY!

Well I went through everything down to the flashing, the flipping the motor and soldering on the wires. This all was easy. I even did some cutting to fit it in the XBOX case with the XBOX drive flap on it. YEY.

then there was a problem and I located where it is, but don't know how to fix it.

SO, I know this isn't really an XBOX problem, but more of a mechanical problem as this is what occurs.

When the tray comes out the spindle and laser drop and out comes the tray. When it closes though the spindle doesn't raise all the way back up so it doesn't meet with the DVD/CD and spin it... grrrrrrrrrrr

I know the drive works in every other manner as I went and took the thing apart and placed an XBOX game in it and put it together just to make sure all other parts were working. And of course the game boots up!

So it is just this one mechanical problem with I am suspecting the motor not finishing it's job... or could it be that the Thomson drive that WAS in it only had to lower its spindle a shorter distance and the XBOX thinks it's still a Thomson... wait no that would make no sense as all that is controlled by the firmware.

I'm really at a lost. Do you think maybe the motor isn't getting enough power? Or maybe I broke something because it did work properly before I flashed it.

Originally posted by lordofduct@Sun, 2005-11-13 @ 01:54 PM

Do you think maybe the motor isn't getting enough power? Or maybe I broke something because it did work properly before I flashed it.

[post=141695]Quoted post[/post]​

You did broke something, it's not the motor that is the problem

you must've broken a relay switch within the drive that tells the tray to go in further that's why it sounds like grinding and doesn't load the tray evenly.

Back