Which of these games has crappier cover art?

Dud

Established Member
EDIT: Looks like amazon moved their pictures around, so you'll have to look up what I'm talking about if you haven't voted.

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@Jun 12, 2004 @ 03:16 AM

:huh I think it would have made more sense to compare the cover art of Street Fighter Zero against Street Fighter Alpha.

Yeah but SFA's cover art is SO much crappier than SFZ's (if you could call SFZ's cover art even remotely crappy). That would be a waste of a poll, I think everyone would agree on which is the better cover. The way I did it, we've got two covers that each suck in there own ways. It's a tough decision, a battle between two ugly yet skilled gladiators if you will.

Originally posted by reX dart: eskimo spy+Jun 12, 2004 @ 05:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(reX dart: eskimo spy @ Jun 12, 2004 @ 05:09 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I like Resident Evil's cover art...  :huh[/b]

Exactly! I like Resident Evil's cover art as well! I don't think it sucks or is ugly at all. It's nicely done. SFA's cover, on the other hand, is just Horrid with a capital H. :lol:

<!--QuoteBegin-mountaindud
@Jun 12, 2004 @ 04:39 AM

Yeah but SFA's cover art is SO much crappier than SFZ's (if you could call SFZ's cover art even remotely crappy). That would be a waste of a poll, I think everyone would agree on which is the better cover. The way I did it, we've got two covers that each suck in there own ways. It's a tough decision, a battle between two ugly yet skilled gladiators if you will.[/quote]

It's not a tough decision at all.

I think a better poll would be Mega Man (NES) vs. Fatal Fury (Neo) or MM vs. Strider (Gen).

Originally posted by mountaindud@Jun 12, 2004 @ 05:18 PM

How can anyone like that Resident Evil cover?!?!

I thought it kind of sucked. But whatever, I guess I'm just used to most modern games no longer suffering from that problem. So it took me by surprise a bit, so to speak.

Well, the GC version of Resident Evil was the first Resident Evil game I played. Before seeing the cover, I knew it was a game about fighting zombies or something. Sure, okay. :rolleyes: Seeing that cover solidified what I already knew (that it was you vs. zombies), but made it look so dangerous. That zombie looks fucking hungry and it's clear Jill is struggling to hold him off. It presented me with a glimpse of the survival horror genre that had thusfar eluded me.

Which would you hold up as an example of fine Resident Evil cover art?

B00007KQC4.01-A3LTAW8FHJ63G2.TZZZZZZZ.jpg

Face of a zombie holding a 2?

B00007KQC5.01.TZZZZZZZ.jpg

Not bad by any means. Nemesis is cool. But showing the boss of the game on the cover doesn't strike me as anything strikingly original or worthy of praise.

B00009WAVA.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Okay, back when I first saw this game in stores (before I came to rely on the internet for my game news) it didn't even look as if it was about zombies. My first thought was that it was some kind of spin-off centering on the human characters. But ignoring my ignorance, I can't imagine anyone would hold this up as an example of brilliant cover art.

B00006LELI.01.TZZZZZZZ.jpg

Again, I don't think there's anything wrong with showing the main characters on the cover. It's just that this cover doesn't really say "zombies" or "survival horror."

B0000TSRA6.01-AIGI2YLZJE0LN.TZZZZZZZ.jpg

A gun.

Honestly, I don't really have a problem with any of these covers. But I definitely like Resident Evil's cover art much more. I'm just curious. Which of these do you consider the best?

I always liked the RE2 cover, it's just a classic piece of artwork. But the original RE and Biohazard covers are probably the coolest.

I think Resident Evil 2's cover is the best. It is both simple and intruiging. The remake cover just looks like a random scene from the game with the title art slapped together.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Jun 13, 2004 @ 04:01 AM

In response to the SF0 vs SFA post, why is it that in the SF0 cover, Ken looks like an attractive woman?

Probably has something to do with your inability to cope with your lust for him.

I saw someone browsing this thread on the Last Click page, and it made me realize just now: RE4's cover is rubbish too!

B0002A6CQ4.01-A1VC38T7YXB528._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Suprise, suprise, Capcom put a random scene that occurs several times while playing the game. :sarcasm: If they wanted to make a good cover they'd hire me as art director, and I'd make them do a picture of a chainsaw villager up close sawing the '4 resident evil" logo in half.

All their other games have good covers. Take Shadow of Rome's front cover:

B0002A6CPA.01-A1VC38T7YXB528._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

That is fucking box art brilliance. It makes me want to go get the game right now.

EDIT:

Looking at these two covers right next to each, I could see how someone might think they are similar, so I'll explain in more depth.

Why the RE4 Cover is garbage:

The backwards title is very corny and reminds me of something they'd do in the mid-nineties, like with the movie Seven where they replaced the 'v' with a number 7, so it read Se7en. What is the movie called then? Is it Sesevenen? Is the game title supposed to be Four Resident Evil? It isn't really clear to idiots. Your focus is divided between Leon and the chainsaw villager mainly. This implies that that guy with a chainsaw is a major character which he is not. It would be different if it was a regular villager, but I wouldn't like that too much either. The chainsaw man needs to be the only character on the cover or totally absent, either one. If it was just the chainsaw man it would be giving you a preview of what you are in for, but the way they did it, it implies you do nothing but run from guys with chainsaws. Furthermore, the excessive ammount of characters in the background coupled with the overuse of dark colors makes it too chaotic for me. It is also misleading, such that it suggests that the entire game is full of that much action and villagers at once, when only a few scenes are. I suppose you could argue that it is displaying one of the highlights of the game, but I believe that covers should reveal as little as possible about the game, really just the main topic of the title.

Why Shadow of Rome has an awesome cover:

The title is displayed prominently in the middle, with no little gimmicks with the lettering. There is one main focus: the gladiator swinging a gladius; this game is about gladiators. Clear, simple, righ to the point, but still stylish looking. There is also some interesting background art to reinforce that this game is mainly about gladiatorial combat. 10/10 perfect cover.

Before some smart-ass says anything, YES I do have too much time on my hands.

I would have to agree with Dud on the RE4 cover blowing big donkey dick. But then I think that Gladiator cover sucks balls too.

Gladiator game: why it sucks

1.) Its about gladiators

2.) It has Playstation 2 written across the top

3.) That jpg was blown up from a lower res pic so its now really blurry

RE4: what it sucks

1.) Its says "only on" GameCube... we all know this is a LIE!

2.) Why does that guy have a potato sack over his head? Did he suffer from the Irish potato plite and died and decided to wreak revenge. MORE DEPTH GUYS!

3.) It says Resident Evil on the cover.

4.) Leon looks gay, he looks like he either is farting or about to do some faggy jump kick thing.

You wanna know what kind of covers make me buy games? These are games I bought just because I liked the cover.

E-071-S-00100-A.jpg

CREAM, now thats how you sell me!

Its simple. Its BLACK. It has a cool fuckin' name. And it says TREASURE!!!!!

baroque1.jpg

Yeah, seriousily, I just had to have it... its all like hologrammy and stuff. And dud that building in the back looks so cool! I hope I get to go there, I want to hump it!

xbox_14796568479757E38.jpeg

Well I couldn't find the US cover... but this one is just as sexy! Yep, thats what sold me on this game... nope it wasn't the Panzer history, it wasn't cause I love the other 3, its cause WOW thats just sexy.

I thought my comments about the first to covers emphasized my sarcasm.

Lens flare, flat color, retarded cartoon of robot = suckage

hologram look and gay phallic building that you don't get to see in the game... except for the inside of = sucky

Such an uninspired cover for Panzer Dragoon Orta

--------------

Despite the bland covers that give these games no justice. Yet these games are damn amazing. (favs in my book!)

RE4: Why it sucks

1.) Its says "only on" GameCube... we all know this is a LIE!

Ever heard of time exclusives?

2.) Why does that guy have a potato sack over his head?

They did the whole deal with the villagers and everything, because they game's emphasis on fast action, as opposed to the slower style of the older games. They're giving the impression that you'll be running for your like, which you will be a few times.

3.) It says Resident Evil on the cover.

Wow... Just because it says "Resident Evil" you hate it? I DESPISE Final Fantasy X-2, but I still think it has pretty good cover art.

4.) Leon looks gay, he looks like he either is farting or about to do some faggy jump kick thing.

Again, with the villagers behind him, and coming after him, it's putting the emphasis on trying to survive, and getting away from the hordes of enemies.

Yup. Doing a semi-crouch and having a pink halo around you really screams 'running for your life'.

Back