What system is better?

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Apr 7, 2004 @ 07:17 PM

Final Fantasy VII is one of the most overrated games that ever existed........

I agree. However, I think it was so popular because it was the first one in 3D. As far as the story went, it was very lacking, especially in the character development department. Cloud was one of the most boring main characters I've ever played as. In Final Fantasy VIII at the very least, I was mildly interested in why Squall was so sullen and introverted. But Final Fantasy VII, I couldn't care less about any of the characters.

*throws a shoe at Supergrom*

*Supergrom punches mountaindud and joins the fight*

Final Fantasy VII is one of the most overrated games that ever existed. It turned to be so popular because it was not only released on console, it was released on PC, thus, making it very "affordable".

Stupid game, I am glad only VII and VIII were released on PC.

Give me a break, the PC conversion was basically crap (as is the case with many console->PC ports), and sold in much smaller numbers than the PSX version (although acceptable for a PC title). At the time, there were likely more people with playstations than PC's capable of running that game anyway; certainly more people who would be interested in playing FFVII. A playstation was/is much cheaper than buying a new-ish PC, anyway. And if what you say is true, why is FFXI not insanely popular?

FFVII certainly is somewhat overrated, but I think most will agree that FFX and X-2 are more overrated, as they received rave reviews despite being somewhat uninspired and rehashed. FFIX (a better game in my opinion) generally didn't score as high as FFX did. The reason? IMHO, it was because it was developed for PSX rather than PS2.

Originally posted by it290@Apr 7, 2004 @ 11:55 PM

FFIX (a better game in my opinion) generally didn't score as high as FFX did. The reason? IMHO, it was because it was developed for PSX rather than PS2.

Final Fantasy IX better? Are you kidding? It was the worst Final Fantasy I played, terrible character design, bad story, and an amazing failure in using the SD look from old Final Fantasy games.

Final Fantasy X was definately better, why? it exceeded IX in every aspect, added the summon system, good story, nice love story, great character design, voices, and incredible cut-scenes.

*Des-ROW predicts the future*

"But Tidus was a whiny bitch!"

<_<

Heh. You nearly read my mind. It's all a matter of opinion, but I thought X was the one with the terrible character design. I didn't dislike Tidus because he was a whiny bitch, it was more because he was a lame surfer dude with a lame new agey girlfriend. ;)

That aside, FFX and X-2 really are decent games in terms of gameplay (especially X-2), although not very innovative. I would probably enjoy them more if I could cope with the lame setting/characters.

To get slightly back on topic, however, Skies of Arcadia destroys both games. ;)

Originally posted by it290@Apr 8, 2004 @ 01:46 AM

To get slightly back on topic, however, Skies of Arcadia destroys both games. ;)

Eternal Arcadia was a horrible game, especially the battle system and character design.

Grandia2 was better.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Apr 5, 2004 @ 12:46 PM

I just finished watching the video, and what made me laugh is the fact that the Dreamcast died, the PlayStation2 sold over 80 Million units worldwide, and that Sega had to leave the hardware market.

More funny things... the Virtua Fighter series is now on PlayStation2.

"What a disppointment, for Sega fans."

The funny thing is, VF and Sega AGES are all that PoS2 is good for. MGS3 and GT4 are the only good PoS2 exclusives hitting this year. Gimme Twin Snakes (remake I know, but still owns), RE4, Prime 2, Star Fox "2", and a new Zelda anyday over that. The PoS2 doesn't have many exclusive must-haves:

Gran Turismo 3

Devil May Cry

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Gran Turismo 4

Virtua Fighter 4

Virtua Fighter Evolution

Virtua Fighter Final Tuned

Virtual On Marz

All fourteen Sega AGES

Zone of The Enders

And that's all I can think of.

If I wanna experience FFX's "great plot" I'll go play Phantasy Star II. FFIX is the best FF (other than FFIV). It had a great plot, great character design, the most likeable characters in any RPG I've played, and the best soundtrack of any FF game. FFX-2 was nothng more than a cash-in for FFX and Rikku fanboys. Also, Tidus was not a whiny bitch. He was one of the coolest RPG characters ever. He reminds me a lot of myself. The other characters just didn't seem all that interesting. Well.. Wakka and Auron were great. The other characters were just flat and boring. Don't even get me started on Yuna *shudder* Worst FF character ever! Hell, FFVIII (FFVIII was great, just had a terrible plot) was better than FFX! You think FFX had a nice love story?! It was crap! It seemed as though Square decided to throw it in at the last minute. FFX has some of te worst characters, and characters development, of any RPG. Square needs Sakaguchi back. He made all the good ones (FFVII, FFIV, FFIX, and FFVIII). Watch FFXII rip-off yet another RPG, although I am looking forward to it. Given Square's track record on PoS2 though, I have doubts. SERIOUS doubts. Square and EA completely owned, until PoS2, 'Cube, and 'Box hit. After that, the games they released just sucked. I loved Medal of Honor on PSX. Frontline on PoS2 completely blew! Square kicked more ass than anyone. FF - FFIX, Bushido Blade, Tobal, Ehrgeiz, Brave Fencer Musashi, Parasite Eve (Are they gonna make a third one or not?!). The only PoS2 Square game that interests me is The Bouncer. That and FFXII (but Bouncer moreso).

FFX did better than SM64?! You gotta be kidding me! SM64 was very ground-breaking! It proved that free-roaming platformers could work, be beautiful looking, and play great. Although Banjo-Kazooie is god of all platforming games, and god of all N64 games as well. What did FFX do (besides rip-off PSII)? Introduced Sphere Grid (second only to the genius that was the Junction System of FFVIII), and interchangable characters during battle. That's it! It's linear as hell. Sure, I like an RPG that tells me what to do next, but I also wanna explore a bit. FFX was TOO EASY! I wanna try and find the place, that the game tells me to go to.

You wanna know something REALLY funny? The fact that probably about 1/3 of those "80 Million" sold is re-buys due to the hardware malfunctioning! $ony charges nearly as much for repairs as they do for new consoles. That's one reason as to why Mikami is making RE (Well... REmake, RE0, and RE4 anyway) exclusive to 'Cube. As he feels $ony makes their hardware to break. His Walkman, PSX, and PoS2 all broke on him. Hell, my PSX is starting to not read my controllers sometimes. And the amount it costs me to buy new ports, I could just go buy a PSOne! Which I hear is even worse than the PSX at breaking!

Des-ROW, as much as I love you, why is it you gotta act so much like a troll sometimes? Also.. Muffinman! About Des-ROW being sexually attracted to you, you gotta get through ME first! ;) :cool: :D :p :smokin:

As for games destroying each other, Phantasy Star IV, Chrono Cross, and Phantasy Star II own ALL!

Originally posted by Cloud121@Apr 8, 2004 @ 08:29 AM

Also, Tidus was not a whiny bitch. He was one of the coolest RPG characters ever. He reminds me a lot of myself.

Hahaha~!

Well lovely people, I would continue with this interesting argument, but I am leaving on a trip in a couple of minutes, I will miss all of you! I will be posting again as soon as I get back ^_^

MIss me! ^.^!

Kisses~

I dislike 3D, but nevertheless there are good qualities in both 2D and 3D. However, when it comes to 3D animated cut-scenes/ stories with computer generated characters, I really cringe, since no matter how much effort has gone into making it, it never can fully replicate a humans face and emotions. This is one thing which stands in the way of making a truely mind-blowing animation (not game ;)), but from the last TV advert I saw for 'The Final Fantasy Universe' (which was mostly just animation from one of the new FF games), it looked really good. Although, it didn't show any dialogue between characters, or close-up shots of character faces, so perhaps the 'cringe-factor' is still there :huh.

As for the main argument of DC vs PS2 - since I haven't really explored the DC's catalog of games, I don't quite know what's out there. But the PS2, on the other hand, has a handfull of games which I enjoy playing (although I have only played a PS2 a few times, and played only 8 or so games.), so I would say the better choice for me would be PS2.... regardless of the fact that they break down nearly as fast as a turboduo :lol. Heh, bit exaggerated, but you know what I mean ;)

Oh, and just to stir up any FF fans:

Originally posted by Des-ROW @ Apr 7@ 2004 @ 07:17 PM

Final Fantasy VII is one of the most overrated games that ever existed........

Correction - Final Fantasy is one of the most overrated series that ever existed........

Agreed on that last part Crazy.

Des, how can you say skies of arcadia is a horrable game, but ffx/x2 are good? There might be maybe 3 ff games TOPS that even have a chance. Also, Grandia 2 does rock :).

Originally posted by Supergrom@Apr 8, 2004 @ 01:39 PM

::waits for mal to close this flamewa...i mean thread::

Actually the thread isn't going as badly as I thought it would. People are actually backing up their claims with some decent reasoning.

I was worried it would turn into this:

DC rox!!! PS2 sux!! Foo!!!

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Cloud121@Apr 8, 2004 @ 11:29 PM

The funny thing is, VF and Sega AGES are all that PoS2 is good for.

I'm inclined to agree. The only reason I'm considering buying a PS2 is to play the Ages titles.

Here is the specs for the Dreamcast:

CPU: Hitachi SH-4

200MHz clock rate

360 MIPS (millions of instructions per second)

1.4 billion floating-point operations per second

128-bit 3D processing power

800+ MBytes/second bus bandwidth

Graphics Core: NEC PowerVR Second Generation

3 million polygons/second peak rendering rate

Perspective-Correct Texture Mapping

Point, Bilinear, Trilinear and Anisotropic Mip-map filtering

Gouraud shading

z-buffer

Colored light sourcing

Full scene anti-aliasing

Hardware-based Fog

Bump mapping

16.77 million colors

Hardware-based texture compression

Shadow and Light volumes

Super sampling

Memory

16MB main RAM

8MB video RAM

2MB sound RAM

Sound: Yamaha Audio Core

RISC CPU

DSP for real-time effects

64 sound channels

Full 3D sound support

Hardware-based audio compression

Storage Media: CD-Rom

1 Gbyte data storage

12x speed Constant Angular Velocity drive

Control Pad

Digital and analog directional controls

Dual analog triggers

Visual Memory System data save unit

Visual Memory Unit

Energy-saving 8-bit CPU

128K byte memory

48x32 dot monochrome LCD display

37x26mm display size

Lithium battery x 2 (CR 2032), auto off function

PWM 1 channel sound source

Saves and plays self contained VMU games

Trade files with other VMUs

Size: 47mm(W) x 80mm(H) x 16mm(D)

Weight: 45g

Expansion Options: Modem

Built-in 56kbps modem

32.8 ft. phone cable included

Upgradeable

Built-in high-speed expansion ports

Internet browser disc

Other Information:

4 Built-in controller ports for easy multi-player action

Stereo AV cable

Sampler disc

Other Accessories:

Keyboard

Fishing controller

Clear blue, red, green & yellow controllers & VMUs

And here is the specs of the PS2:

PlayStation 2 Technical Specifications

CPU: 128 Bit Emotion Engine

System Clock: 300 MHz

System Memory: 32 MB Direct Rambus

Memory Bus Bandwidth: 3.2 GB per second

Co-Processor: FPU (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 1, Floating Point Divider x 1)

Vector Units: VU0 and VU1 (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 9, Floating Point Divider x 1)

Floating Point Performance: 6.2 GFLOPS

3D CG Geometric Transformation: 66 million Polygons Per Second

Compressed Image Decoder: MPEG2

Graphics: Graphics Synthesizer

Clock Frequency: 150MHz

DRAM Bus bandwidth: 48 GB Per Second

DRAM Bus width: 256 bits Pixel Configuration: RGB:Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8:32)

Maximum Polygon Rate: 75 Million Polygons Per Second

Sound: SPU2+CPU

Number of voices: ADPCM: 48 channel on SPU2 plus definable by software

I/O Processor

CPU Core: Current PlayStation CPU

Clock Frequency: 33.8 MHz or 37.5 MHz (selectable)

Sub Bus: 32 Bit Interface Types: IEEE1394, Universal Serial Bus (USB)

Communication: PC-Card PCMCIA

Disc Media: DVD-ROM (CDROM compatible)

Dimensions: 12"L x 7"W x 3"H

Weight: 4 lbs. 10 oz.

Disk Devices:

24X CD-ROM drive

4X DVD-ROM drive

Supported Formats:

PlayStation 2 CD-ROM

PlayStation CD-ROM

video DVD

audio CD

User Interfaces:

2 Controller ports

2 Memory Card slots

2 USB ports

1 Sony i.Link IEEE1394 port

Audio/Video Output:

1 AV multi cable

1 optical digital audio

Port for optional network expansion

pack's 3.5" hard drive and modem

Your point?

To me the PoS2 sucks in terms of both games AND hardware (4MB VRAM, and Aliasing mainly).

Originally posted by link343@Apr 9, 2004 @ 12:22 PM

Here is the specs for the Dreamcast:

A long list of boring and largely irrelavant tech specs

And here is the specs of the PS2:

A shorter list of boring and largely irrelavant tech specs

I knew that the DC was better.

Its list of tech specs is longer. :rolleyes:

Back