What games used batteries, and which used Flash?

Cloud121

Established Member
Hey guys, any of you know which games used batteries, and which games used Flash ROM for saving data?

Where can I get a list of 'em?

I don't know of a listing but i believe shinning force 1 and 2 both used battery back-ups. I have them here so ill have to check.

Sonic 3 used a flash rom (i think)

The vast majority of games with a save feature used battery-backed SRAM. A handful used serial EEPROM (Megaman: The Wily Wars, one of the Wonderboy games, and NBA Jam Tournament Edition if I'm not mistaken), and a few more used ferroelectric RAM (I think Sonic 3 falls into this category).

" ferroelectric RAM"

What is this?

I think that TopGear2 uses a special saving freature like 2 or 4 bit "electrical controlable switchs" only.

Because when you restart the game from the start, all previous password are no more useable.

From what I understand (and this could be a bit wrong), FRAM is based on a kind of phase-change capacitor/battery cell. Charging the cell causes the dielectric to crystalize. Reading works by discharging the cell and using sense amps to detect the current to tell whether or not the cell was charged, and then writing the value back again. The big advantages of this over flash are that FRAM can have an SRAM-like interface (because unlike flash reads and writes take the same amount of time), and that the write tolerance is vastly higher than flash (billions of writes vs. 100,000 - 1,000,000 with flash). The main disadvantages right now are density and cost.

What exactly do you need to do to replace one? I'd love to learn so I can make an attempt on some old dead carts I have. That'd make a good FAQ to put up.

Well, really, you just need the battery (CR2032), and some way to get the cartridge open, like a 4.5mm 'game bit'. A soldering iron is handy, too. Some people use the batteries that have solder tabs already attached, but personally, I go for the non-solder (aka lazy) method..open up the cartridge, pry the battery off the tabs, and stick a new one in with electrical tape.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Mon, 2004-10-11 @ 12:15 AM

From what I understand (and this could be a bit wrong), FRAM is based on a kind of phase-change capacitor/battery cell. Charging the cell causes the dielectric to crystalize. Reading works by discharging the cell and using sense amps to detect the current to tell whether or not the cell was charged, and then writing the value back again. The big advantages of this over flash are that FRAM can have an SRAM-like interface (because unlike flash reads and writes take the same amount of time), and that the write tolerance is vastly higher than flash (billions of writes vs. 100,000 - 1,000,000 with flash). The main disadvantages right now are density and cost.

[post=120715]Quoted post[/post]​

Is it unreliable?

I have a Sonic 3 cart with a save feature that doesnt work.

It should be more reliable in principle, but realistically subtle manufacturing defects are probably more likely since it's a relatively young technology.

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Sun, 2004-10-10 @ 01:08 PM

batteries? Um, where do the carts go? My god iv had my genisus for about 8/10 years, and i still don;t know about the save feature i thought they didnt even have one! So witch port on the genisus is the place for carts to be saved on?

Hey guys, any of you know which games used batteries, and which games used Flash ROM for saving data?

Where can I get a list of 'em?

[post=120691]Quoted post[/post]​

WHAT ARE YOU TALKIN ABOUT??? some games have save features, like Phantasy Star or ummm, Sonic 3 yeah thats a game you probably played that used a save feature.... theres no "port"!

[EDIT] okay okay, i have to admit... i thought your SN was genius man! but i was then wondering WHY would it be genius?! then i noticed its genesis, i mean genisus!

And youve had your genny for 10 years? arent you like 13 or something? holy bejebus, i didnt think the genny controller would fit in a 3 year olds hands.

no sorry i got it when i was um... 4 or maybe 5. I don't remember. But, about the batterie and ram thing, where are the ports on the genny? I cant find them!

O and mine is the version with the long, rectangular buttons on ether top side.

Back