Virtual On: Cyber Troopers

MasterAkumaMatata

Established Member
Nice fast-paced 3D action mech versus fighter for the Sega Saturn.
lsvader.gif

Although it's best played with Twin Sticks, I've had plenty of fun playing with the standard controllers. :D Raiden was my favorite Virtuaroid, and I beat the game with him. What about you, which is your favorite?

I tested this game on arcade by curiosity...and so...

IT IS one of my most wanted games...

i never bought it because i can't image to play it without the twin stick who are very hard to find outside japan (because of weight)...

the prices i saw them on japan auction made me cry every times (1000yens the 5 twin stick new!!!)

Kaneda

I've never played the Arcade version, just the Saturn one. And of course without the Twin Sticks. :)

I believe it can be pretty cool with the Twin Sticks though, but with a normal controller I always jumped to get the aim right (it autoaims when you jump, as I remember it) Don't remember wich robot I finnished it with but I remember the last boss as a laugher, using the "jump all the time"-method it didn't get me once.

What a great game :) I first played it at the arcade and had a ball. Own the Saturn version but not the sticks...but i'm more than adept when it comes to using the controller. Have 3 favorite chars which i've examined very closely to find out which holds an advantage -- and from what I have gathered each char is strong against one of the chars but weak against the other. Anyhoo, I don't use the jump very often, as it exposes you to attacks... only use it when it's the only way out from getting hit by an attack, or when i'm (for some reason) completely facing the wrong direction of the enemy (ie 180 degress). Of course, jumping is not the best 'technique' to face your opponent. Shooting whilst dashing is the best way IMO, as it doesn't expose you to any attacks, and, of course, it keeps you on the run ;). As for the last boss - peice of case once you know how he ticks, and are using a decent character that can kill the bastard before the timer runs out. In which, Raiden is not sufficient... well, at least he has never been any of the times i've used him against the boss. If you don't kill him before the timer runs out then it will say 'mission failed', but you will still complete the game (although not truly ;)

it's why it's better with the twin stick...jump isn't as easy...so you use it less...

i think the twinstick (for arcade) is the same as Tokyo Wars no ? a tank 'sim'...since you controls your player as a tank :)

Kaneda

This game is one of my least played game of my 20+ saturn games, if not the least played game.. 2nd would probably be Battle Arena Toshinden. This game is difficult and I've never finished the game with any other mech other than that pink female mech.. feiyin if I remember correctly.

I'm currently trying to config the input on the pc version...it's hard (with keyboard)

but it have the network option :thumbs-up: See attached pic.

Kaneda

Attachments

• von.jpg
    von.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 102
  • von.jpg
    von.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 98
  • von.jpg
    von.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 99
awesome game, with or without the twin sticks... but GREAT with the twin sticks IMO :cheers :agree

I have the game AND the Saturn twinsticks. Any game with mechs (Mechs to me; are the Mechwarrior kind) or big anime style robots.. is a must for me. Now if I could only find a Saturn-to-Dreamcast adapter at a decent price (They ALWAYS want too much for them on eBay).. I could play Ontario tangram with them as well (Don't buy the DC sticks as they're not backwards compatible.).

Hmm.. anybody know if that next VO game came out for the PS2 yet?

hmm, I got to say I have mixed feelings about VO (even though it was my most expensive Saturn game, I was ripped off :damn: ). It looks pretty good, it's "hyperness" is cool, but it lacks a proper auto-aim (and you cant turn when moving), this one mech with the guided missiles is a bit too good and I always get beaten by a friend of mine :blush:

there's a PC version?

so if I have a PSX Dual Shock type controller for the PC, could I map the controls to be similar to twinsticks?

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@Jan 19, 2004 @ 09:13 AM

lsvader.gif

that is an awesome smiley!!!

in fact i'm looking "into" the pc version...

it's fun because i find string like "saturn pad" ...

and there is a debug feature i need to find :)

also i found a strange dialog box who let you configure a twin stick!!! ?

and yes, VOn pc allow you to use 1 or 2 pads (yes!! TWO!!)

also the intro is in avi...perhaps i can DIVX it for the SX media bank ?

..nah.. she's been doing it about a year now. That site's the reason I started using pop-up blockers (Google toolbar works pretty well for me on her site). Real pity.. I used to visit her site way back around '96. Back then she (thought it was a "he" back then) had about 50 games or so. I remember she used to ask people to donate stuff to her to help her with the site.. she didn't even have a scanner and needed one desparately. After about 3 more years; and she figured out she could get away posting more and more stuff.. now she's a full-fledged frickin' commercial site as far as I'm concerned!

Don't get me wrong.. I appreciate what she does.. but she's a BIG girl now.. got a job in Hong Kong I think.. lets her scores of "underlings" pretty much run the site.. and dares to even sometimes post games less than a year old.. as long as she figures the publisher's don't care.. or are defunct. You can't tell me it SUPPLEMENTS her income now.. what with all those damn pop-ups AND her PayPal donations.

If I seem a little bitter.. it's because I saw so many small, good little "abandonware" sites fall to the wayside for years whenever they were threatened by publishers and it seems she has somehow managed to come through it all "unscathed". I'll bet the site even pays for a good lawyer. It's very well known nowdays. Even been written up in gaming mags.

it seems there were 2 versions of Virtual On PC...

there was a std version and a PowerVR optimized version

only the exe change ? i don't know :)

I can't get the Sidewinder controls to work. It won't let me choose it, though it plays it fine if it were in a keyboard+pad setup. :(

Back