Very interesting Hard Drive space recovery

My point (and mal's, I think) is that you aren't really skipping the Ain't. It just isn't there. The phrase is "There's..." not "There Ain't...". If I'm reading you right, you're saying that if you skip Ain't (which I'm not), then you skip As and A. Normally I'd agree with you (about A's and Ands, etc), but in this case I don't. :)

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@Mar 14, 2004 @ 04:15 AM

What about SOB? Son Of A Bitch? :lol:

Of and a merged over time, perhaps? Forming Ofa, which obviously is significant enough to warrant a letter in the nifty abbreviation.

Originally posted by Curtis@Mar 14, 2004 @ 03:15 PM

My point (and mal's, I think) is that you aren't really skipping the Ain't. It just isn't there. The phrase is "There's..." not "There Ain't...". If I'm reading you right, you're saying that if you skip Ain't (which I'm not), then you skip As and A. Normally I'd agree with you (about A's and Ands, etc), but in this case I don't. :)

I'm thinking that it's just a cultural difference.

I don't think I've ever heard a fellow Aussie say "ain't no" unless it's been to quote an americanism of some sort. *shrug*

You don't hear it from Americans very often either, unless they're Texans or Southerners (and even then, it seems to have fallen out of favor somewhat). Who knows what the original form of the phrase was, but it probably didn't have the 'ain't'.. personally I think TNSTAFL or TNSTAAFL would be better, but hell, it's one of those phrases that never needed/wanted abbreviation in the first place. ;)

Back