Very interesting Hard Drive space recovery

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
Article

Recover hidden partitions and gain some space. Very interesting read.

I have not tried this yet. Try at your own risk but as I said if it works it's VERY intereting.

sounds too good to be true.

I'm sure the hard drive companies have the drives set up the way they are.

It sounds like Ghost temporarily mangles the partition table in some way that only it understands, and Windows then misinterprets it when Ghost isn't allowed to clean up after itself. If this really resulted in more space, it would be verifiable at the ATA level regardless of OS/filesystem, and there's no indication that such verification actually happened.

It most likey is just that the "new" partition is actually occupying the same space as the old one. In this case this would lead to some HORRIBLE data loss if you actually used them both.

Just got 9GB extra on the 10GB drive. I will now test it out by writing a bunch of data to it and see how those programs/movies run on both.

Ok, just got done benchmarking the "old" space and the "new" space

old - 12308kB/s

new - 11785kB/s

Not much of a difference between the 2.

So far nothing is wrong, no errors.

Going to copy a dvd to the hd and play that via alcohal on the space and see what happens.

Used Sisoft Sandra 2004

Just being able to access the "extra" space doesn't say much, because you don't see how the OS is addressing it.

Try this (in this order):

1) Extract the DVD, or part of it, to the "new" partition.

2) Fill up the "main" partition with garbage data like zero-compression ZIP files of c:\windows

3) Try to play the DVD stream

Ok, partition magic says that the partitions do overlap each other. So I am guessing there will be data loss.

Que? :huh:

[edit] Oh I see. Why not just TNSTAAFL? It's not like you're ever actually going to say it so the A is kinda redundant...

The "TANSTAAFL" form supposedly comes from a direct quote from a Heinlein novel, which would explain why it remains popular compared to the very slightly abbreviated form.

Originally posted by mal@Mar 11, 2004 @ 11:12 PM

Que? :huh:

[edit] Oh I see. Why not just TNSTAAFL? It's not like you're ever actually going to say it so the A is kinda redundant...

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

If you're going to skip Ain't, you should skip As an A as they are usually insignificant for abbreviations - so TNSTFL. Just doesn't look right.

Maybe, but you'd skip the "ain't" because you can abbreviate "There Ain't" to "There's". Without the two "A"s, it doesn't make sense:

"There's No Such Thing Free Lunch"

Originally posted by Curtis@Mar 13, 2004 @ 09:57 PM

Maybe, but you'd skip the "ain't" because you can abbreviate "There Ain't" to "There's". Without the two "A"s, it doesn't make sense:

"There's No Such Thing Free Lunch"

No, no, you'd skip the A's for the abbreviation.

For example, we call the big country in North America, the United States of America - abbreviated USA because the 'of' is insignificant for abbreviation.

Another example could be NASA - the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

Back