Television + Monitors Shaking

Jaded God

Established Member
Right now I have my tv set up on the floor with cable... And my computer monitor is next to it about 2 feet away. When the TV is on my monitor, if you look close, shakes...

Is this due to the frequencies and signals of both. How far away do they have to be from each other?

It isn't permanent placements for the tv or comp, I just moved, so for right now I need to figure this one out until my basement gets finished and I move downstairs.

Probably the elctromagnetic field generated TV interfering with the monitor. It might indicate that the shielding on the TV isn't quite up to scratch.

So how far away do you think the monitor has to be for it to not shake. It isn't shaking horribly just if you look you can notice it.

Also if I keep the computer monitor where it is will it damage my computer monitor?

It really depends on how they're built, but 5 feet or so should do it for most. Basically what's happening is that the edges of the fields that direct the electron beam on one display are overlapping the picture tube on the other, which causes the beam to shake.

ive heard of the image shaking... at lan parties when we have like 20 people in my house this happens, doesnt really concern us to much. But shaking physically thats weird. My tv if the volumes up and its on a screen with no sound the music on my computer pumps out the speakers all scratchy its so cool.

Oh, i think you probably mean image, right, well if kept like that for a while then yes it can do damage shortening its life span, i hear from the tech guys at work... they said this explaining why the monitors blow in are office so quickly. I mean in comparison to my home ones. its still years of life span. at work ours last bout' 4 years max, sometimes they blow in like 3. It's so cool watching it happen too, my first one blew a month ago. PADOOF, thats the actual sound it made PADOOF. so cool.

Just move them apart until you notice it doesn't interfere with image quality. Putting the monitor and TV on seperate circuits may have an effect, as well.

from what electrician training ive had, the circuits you have it on shouldn't effect anything. nevermind finding two seperate circuits in the same room would be difficult enough.

One of my friends has a fairly poorly shielded monitor. His was the only one I could see it on last LAN I was at. It doesn't do it nearly as bad at his house, but its still there, just barely. Not much he can do about though since his system is right next to two others right now.

Back