SP2 woes....

I don't recall seeing that one, but I'm happy its gone.

Damn, I've got school tomorrow. I need to start getting to sleep at 1 or 2, instead of 3 or 4.

I've had another big HD dumpage event ™ so I'm considering moving on to XP from 2000.

I just don't know if it's really worth it or not...

I think every time I get to thinking that Windows is really not that bad and I'm probably just using Linux out of spite, somebody's Windows installation gets randomly hosed and forces a reinstall. Sorry about that.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Sep 2, 2004 @ 08:37 PM

I think every time I get to thinking that Windows is really not that bad and I'm probably just using Linux out of spite, somebody's Windows installation gets randomly hosed and forces a reinstall. Sorry about that.

My fairly ancient install of WinME is still chugging along OK. But my friends reinstall XP like clockwork, and don't seem to think twice about it. Don't get me wrong, if I ever get a new box I'm putting XP on it. But it's still MS Windows... shit can and will happen.

ME still runnin strong? wow...this girl Michelley I used to know has ME on her/her mom's laptop. That thing had to go in about ever 1.5 months. Would just fuck itself over every time, lol. It was horrable.

ME is what my dad had. The damn thing just crawled after a few weeks. I finally got him to buy XP and I threw that on there.

I went from a '98 machine to an XP Pro machine. I've never had any problems with XP. I've only had it crash beyond recover twice (and the second was only to see if I could recreate the problem). Even that was the game's fault. Though I am surprised I couldn't get back to the desktop.

My work machine is a 2000 box, and I've had a number of problems with it. It slows down considerably sometimes and I can't figure out why. Yeah, it's a pretty old system (P3 700Mhz), but it shouldn't be slowing it down as much as it does for what I do with it.

I can honestly say that XP is pretty solid when compared to previous versions I've used.

Just to put some perspective on the whole thing, I've had several ext2 and ext3 filesystems trashed, several FAT32s, and a couple NTFSs (one of which wasn't MS' fault in any way, however). Since I've moved to ReiserFS, however, I have had no problems whatsoever.

*shrugs* Yeah my install of ME must be special I guess. It just keeps working day after day, and remains fast to boot, shut down, and is very responsive. My friend complained that after using my computer, his WinXP box felt sluggish. Almost identical hardware too, except he has a Live! and I have a Fortissimo II, and he has a Radeon 8500 whilst I have a GF3.

I never had much problems with any version of windows(not used 2000 or ME though). I've only ever had to reinstall once, and that was Win95, 4 years after I got it. I had a few other problems but I've always been able to fix them without reinstalling.

I'm really liking XP so far, although the real test for me will be how fast it will be after a few months and years.

The rot sets in eventually - I'm considering doing my second XP reinstall in 2 years right now. Things just seem to be getting a little slow on this aging laptop.

The core of XP seems to be quite solid, but really it doesn't matter how stable the kernel is if your normal user account is an administrator, because the moment you stumble upon some innovative malware your system will never quite be the same again. <_<

Originally posted by ExCyber@Sep 4, 2004 @ 04:09 PM

The core of XP seems to be quite solid, but really it doesn't matter how stable the kernel is if your normal user account is an administrator, because the moment you stumble upon some innovative malware your system will never quite be the same again. <_<

Well it is always a fight to keep your system clean. AV, firewall, anti-spyware programs are all good tools. After that you need cleanup programs and some manual cleaning or setting-changing to keep your system from bogging down. I mean who here even cleans their WinXP prefetch now and again? Disabling it is only good if you are really short on memory, but you should dump it now and again. Run the new easycleaner to clean out your registry. Stuff like that.

I like to make a point not to update Windows if at all possible. I say if nothing is broken, don't fix it. I've actually destroyed my Windows installation by using Windows update in the past. (I have no idea how that happened, but it did)

Not a good idea if your machine is connected to the internet all the time. Unless you have it locked down really tight, anyway.

Although I HAVE seen installations FUBAR from Windows Update, I agree with it290. Even with a firewall and other security software, there are still exploits that you want to patch up. You don't have to have the newest, untested patches, (which could fuck things up) but you should seal it up a bit now and again.

I have heard that as many as 1 in 10 corporate boxes have been adversely affected by SP2, for example. That's after this thing has been delayed to fix major incompatibilities with other MS programs. ;)

Back