Sony's Cell Processor dissappointment

Apparently those figures are for the CPU accessing GPU local memory. Disappointing perhaps, but by no means the crisis people are making it out to be.

This is the first time I've heard this, but according to Electric Playground, they predict Sony Will lose half of its marketshare to the 360 and WII systems, because of price and loss of several exclusive licenses to the 360, and the acceptance of the WII system after the last E3. No one expected the WII to become so popular, including Sony.

While I don't believe Sony will actually lose half of its marketshare, because of all of the Sony Fanboys out there, this other thing will only fuel the fire even more.

Nintendo, since the n64, has been known as the little man on campus, but that's hopefully going to change soon, and microsoft is still going to have excellent live, arcade games, and shooters, and sony will probably also pour out the rpgs once again.

Yeah, from what I've heard, the "local" means "local to the GPU" in that context, and the point was that if you want to get at something in the GPU memory, you should have the GPU copy it over to main RAM and access it there. As far as I know, PC graphics cards have the exact same "problem".

Originally posted by ExCyber@Fri, 2006-06-09 @ 12:16 AM

Yeah, from what I've heard, the "local" means "local to the GPU" in that context, and the point was that if you want to get at something in the GPU memory, you should have the GPU copy it over to main RAM and access it there. As far as I know, PC graphics cards have the exact same "problem".

[post=146616]Quoted post[/post]​

Isn't that also the thing that was supposed to give the X360 an edge in performance? Something about that "unified memory architecture". Becuase seeing those numbers, it seems a heckova advantage to me.

360 doesn't really have a unified memory (in fact they had to split the GPU die to accomodate the onboard RAM), and the quoted number isn't really relevant to the practical performance of PS3, because it's not an operation that games really need to do.

Back