Something I've just noticed

I don't know if it's been officially announced, but I've been looking at the next few Sega games that I've wanted and some that have already come out and it seems Sega has made all the prices of their new console games $39.99 as opposed to $49.99 and of course all the ESPN games are $19.99 so that's always good news seeing how Sega games will be 10 bucks cheaper then your average game. :cheers

I noticed that too. I suspect it's because Sega games are going up against a lot of really big sellers this season.

Oh, well. It is a huge relief on my wallet. :beerchug

Originally posted by reX dart: eskimo spy@Oct 14, 2004 @ 02:28 PM

I noticed that too. I suspect it's because Sega games are going up against a lot of really big sellers this season.

Oh, well. It is a huge relief on my wallet. :beerchug

[post=120996]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah that was my guess as well as to why they did it. It's always a good thing though. Cuz I don't have much money as of late and I'm really looking forward to Outrun 2 and Otogi 2.

Originally posted by Zheræ@Oct 14, 2004 @ 03:51 PM

Could also be because the games are crap and no one wants them!

Joking or am I...

[post=121002]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually, that seems to be the general consensus among ignorant American gamers.

I didn't notice that price difference until now either...

Blood Will Tell is also 39.99.

Originally posted by mountaindud@Oct 14, 2004 @ 10:39 PM

Actually, that seems to be the general consensus among ignorant American gamers.

I didn't notice that price difference until now either...

Blood Will Tell is also 39.99.

[post=121004]Quoted post[/post]​

Not only in America in here Shenmue II for Xbox is at budget price for some time now at €9.90, but in this case the game really didn´t sell even though its a great game :( How much is Outrun 2 $39.99 or $49.99? If new games are beeing sold at $39.99 theres somethin wrong cause SEGA is loosing money that way or at least not making as much.

maybe just get more interested in their series so that more people will buy future products.

sega is doing a good thing.

*rational tought*

Why would i want to buy project gotham racing 2 for 60 bucks if i can get sega gt online for 30 bucks?

DO THE MATH

Originally posted by Supergrom@Oct 15, 2004 @ 10:43 AM

umm, im pretty sure PGR2 is a platinum hit now and is $20 or less.

[post=121052]Quoted post[/post]​

i dont know where you live. but here it isnt. :/

Its all about marketing. It's called a market share grab. You underprice your product to get more people buying. Then at a later date, you slowly raise your prices.

Exactly... its not like they are losing alot of money. The actual production costs arent anywhere near 40 bones a disk and case... and the amount of sales will definately make up for intellectual property costs. This is basic economics, took it in 10th grade.

Originally posted by Zheræ@Oct 14, 2004 @ 05:44 PM

Not only in America in here Shenmue II for Xbox is at budget price for some time now at €9.90, but in this case the game really didn´t sell even though its a great game :( How much is Outrun 2 $39.99 or $49.99? If new games are beeing sold at $39.99 theres somethin wrong cause SEGA is loosing money that way or at least not making as much.

[post=121012]Quoted post[/post]​

It's $39.99. ALL new Sega games are that price now or less.

I don't think they will loose money on this because most gamers don't have enough cash to fork over for so many games. So they're easily pick up the $19.99 ESPN games over EA Sports, and with Sports games that's a LOT of units sold seeing the range that plays them. For the other games, I just think it's a market ploy so people are like WOW it's cheap and think highly of it. Also if you look at the upcomming Sega games, there really insn't a bad one in that line-up at all (with Astro-boy for PS2 an exception I think).

If Matrix Online & Shenmue Online is sold for $39.99 as well then with the online gamers will have more incentive to pick a Sega game over any other in the vast world of MMORPG's.

If this plan does fail though, I'm sure you'll see games go back to normal price. I for one don't think it's going to though.

Originally posted by dragonforce@Oct 14, 2004 @ 11:52 AM

sega is doing a good thing.

*rational tought*

Why would i want to buy project gotham racing 2 for 60 bucks if i can get sega gt online for 30 bucks?

DO THE MATH

[post=121042]Quoted post[/post]​

I picked up PGR2 for $40 Canadian quite a few months ago, which is just over $30 US. And I'd suggest to anyone to shell out the extra $10 for PGR2 because IMO it is a better game, especially regarding online.

You also assume people are rational...not quite. They see ESPN sports and say 'oh, its cheaper so it must not be as good' and then there are those who associate 'sports' with 'EA' and wouldn't even get a copy if they were $1. Its quite unfortunate.

Originally posted by Ammut@Oct 15, 2004 @ 09:08 PM

You also assume people are rational...not quite. They see ESPN sports and say 'oh, its cheaper so it must not be as good' and then there are those who associate 'sports' with 'EA' and wouldn't even get a copy if they were $1. Its quite unfortunate.

[post=121106]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah. :(

Sadly, a lot of people are so dense that they wont get games unless they're super hyped. That's the majority of people at least. That's why Sega's advertising is what needs work. They haven't really been doing a great job of that after the DC. I can only recall Sonic Heroes commercials and a few ads for games in print. I mean...I see ads for the shittiest games on TV that never sell. Sega can fork over some cash to promote better I think.

I'm especially surprised that they aren't doing more with ESPN. The point of adopting the ESPN moniker, was brand recognition. Yet, I don't see much hyping the games on ESPN.

Back