SNES CD (original PSX) - What do we know about it?

I started thinking of this for three reasons: 1. The 64DD post in the N64 section got me thinking of rare and non released systems. 2. Something I realized a couple months ago: The original Playstation which was going to be the SNES CD drive was called PlaystationX, later renamed to Playstation, is still using the original abreviation: PSX. And 3. The SNES section of NX's board needs more forums then the one for the best Game for the system that I made a couple of weeks ago.
Anyhow, what do any of you know about it? What games were in the works for it? How fast was its drive? Did it just creat a larger storage medium for the system or did it add mhz? And anything else you can come up with. Also, has a prototype ever gone on sale on ebay or yahoo that you know of? Any info would be nice to have on this unique piece of gaming history.

(Edited by Fabrizo at 12:23 am on Oct. 25, 2001)

As far as I know the SNESCD never even made the prototype stages. Nintendo dropped the idea after the failure of the SegaCD.

The best info I've seen was a 2 page EGM (I think) article. I'll try find a scan of it.

Apprently there are a few floating around the ebay equivalent in japan if you know japanese and there are some games (most of them it has to be said are pirates) also avaliable in that country, particularly at markets and the like. There are two models.. the nintendo sony effort and the sony only version. I beleive both play the same games (need some modding but according to a site which i can't remember the name of it is possible)

"and thats all i know there isn't any more"

Well its obvious now but back then it wasnt. Nintendo shoulda just tried to develop the system itself, with the enhancements the snes had over the genesis it would have been a nice little cd unit.

The problem with add-on devices is that they generally don't sell very well and thus have a limited install base.

This is what killed the SegaCD and 32X and to a large extent limited the effectiveness of the N64's Expansion Pak.

Developers have to decide whether they want to work on the best technology or target the largest market share and more often than not, the publishers will go with where the money is...

Yea. I think the Empansion Pak is easily on of the better addons to be released for a console.

And packaging it with DK64 was a good idea too, considering the very high sales of that title.

the things on ebay ar for piracy purposes, they just play roms burned onto a cd.<A HREF=http://www.lan-kwei.com/snesE/">Lan-kwei</a> sells em. i wish i could remember where, but once i saw a big article on the SNES cd, and the only realy interesting thing about it is that the cds came is a case (kinda like old apple cd roms) and they had a small ram chip on them to save games. i think the system was about 2x the clockspeed of snes, and of corse hooked up to the bottom.

Back