PC Help

schi0249

Mid Boss
I was experiencing some very intermittent system crashes, resulting in a reboot. I popped open my case and noticed my chipset fan was dead. I swapped out the fan, and now I get nothing. I have removed all cards, cables, and memory. The only thing plugged in the my CPU (an Athlon XP 2800+). I get no beep tones. The CPU fan does power up. I was thinking the system board is probably dead. What do you pros think? My board is a Socket A nForce 2 from Gigabyte.

If so, I am going to need to replace it. I was checking out New Egg; what would you all recommend? Thanks for the help.

It does sound like it's dead. :(

I've recently had my nForce2 board go a bit weird as well and I'm taking that as a sign that it's time to upgrade to an AMD64 - albeit to a motherboard with AGP rather than PCI-E.

So I my system board is toast. I have limited funds, so I am only replacing that. I have narrowed it done to the following board. Any reccomendations/info would be greatly appreciated.

* ASUS A7N8X-E DX

* MSI K7N2 Delta2 FSR

* Albatron KX18DS Pro 2

* ABIT AN7

* ABIT KW7

* ABIT NF7-S2

I don't have personal experience with any of those boards except for the A7N8X, which I have found to be an all around stable and solid board. Brand-wise, I would stay away from Albatron, as I have had problems with their products in the past, but the others are all good. I am using an MSI board (K7S5A) currently and it is one of the best and most stable boards I have used. MSI doesn't cater to overclockers though, so if you want those options, look elsewhere.

oh dear... did I really say body?

I should learn another language just so I can pretend I actually don't speak english and that would explain the dumb shit I've said in the last 3 years I've been here.

I meant buddy

You should of played it off like you meant to say body and that's wha tall the cool kids down South call their case.

down south computer geeks aren't cool.... they are shunned

And when I've posted my computer is a 600 mhz P3 with a geforce ti4200 a few times before, people could easily call me out.

well I have another comp... but it still is a P4; not an athlon

Back