Now my computer locks up

I was trolling around the BIOS of my recently acquired comp, restarted it, and now I get an error message saying something like :

AWARD BOOTLOCK

BIOS ROM checksum error

PLEASE insert system disk in drive A:

Is there a way to restore the default BIOS settings? Here the specs:

VIA AMD mobo

Dual P4 3ghz processors

1 gig RAM

150 gig HD

WinXP

ATI Radeon 9600 128 meg

Thanks!

Since it says "insert system disk", it sounds like it should at least attempt to boot a floppy. If you can find the make and model of your motherboard, get on their website and download a BIOS image and the DOS flash tool (AWDFLASH), format a DOS boot floppy and put them on there. In the worst case your motherboard manufactuer may sell you a freshly-flashed chip to pop into the socket; these are usually overpriced but still a heck of a lot cheaper than a new motherboard.

Usually a checksum error like that just means your settings got screwed up somehow. Just enter the BIOS and make sure you're set to boot to your HD. As for restoring defaults, usually you have a few choices like 'restore failsafe settings' and 'restore optimum settings'. Just be aware that those defaults probably aren't entirely what you want.

If you can't get it to do anything, try taking out the battery on the mobo or setting the BIOS clear jumper (if there is one).

edit - BTW, were you actually flashing your BIOS at the time? If so, then what ExCyber suggests is more likely.

Award BIOS will generally reset settings and/or drop you into the config menu if CMOS RAM contents get hosed. I'm pretty sure this is corruption of the BIOS itself.

Well, I fixed it. I removed the CMOS battery for five minutes, and the BIOS resetted and everything's ok. Thanks again for your suggestions. You guys are the greatest.

Back