neo geo systems

One slot MVS boards are around 100 USD

Standard AES units are around 200 USD

Neo-Geo CD systems are around 100 USD

Neo-Geo CDZ systems are around 200 USD

And MVS boards include no controllers.

The MVS boards are also arcade boards, so they require a seperate power supply, an arcade monitor (or one that can use RGB signals), controllers.

But on the good side, the games are dirt cheap compared to their AES counterparts.

CD is good if you don't want to spend a shitload of money and don't mind the (often) long load times. But you won't be able to find any of the lastest games on it, and some of the later ones were also gimped to make them fit within the system's ram.

Should also add that with a convertor (which isn't cheap) the AES system can play the much cheaper MVS carts. If you just want to play the games, then this is the better way to go, or you can, of course, spend the $1000+ for Metal Slug AES.

an arcade monitor (or one that can use RGB signals)

And just to be clear on this, about 99% of standard PC monitors will not sync down to a standard arcade signal. Apart from getting an actual arcade monitor, you'd need something like an Amiga monitor, studio monitor, original series (1980s-era) NEC Multisync, or a TV with standard-res RGB input (which virtually no North American TVs have).

Find a local arcade distributor that is getting rid of old cabinets and offer to pick it up yourself. Could probably get one for cheap that way. Also you can check on ebay but stick to sellers who are local to you or you could end up paying $200-400 for shipping alone. As for the 6 slot expect to pay ALOT. These things are pretty scarse and they fetch a pretty penny. Your best bet would be to just get a 1 slot off ebay for $100 or so.

Originally posted by gameboy900@Feb 14, 2004 @ 01:33 PM

Your best bet would be to just get a 1 slot off ebay for $100 or so.

You should also consider that some MVS 1 slot boards have issues when running certain games such as Rage of the Dragons and Samurai Spirits Zero, they reset themselves randomly.

If you want to be able to play MVS games without a cabinet, you will need a SuperGun.

AES with a Phantom is also an option as I understand it, although a slightly more expensive one.

the best way to play NeoGeo games cheaply is to get a Supergun, or SuperNOVA from MAS Systems, then get a 2 slot board, like Des-Row said, the 1 slots have problems with newer games, sometimes.

This setup is the cheapest, (unless you find a cab for under $200 with a nice monitor and a 2 slot board) and the best for space.

yea, i would get a neogeo cd bcuz of backups, but the neogeo games are really collectables... nobody really pays 5000 dollars for the 1 game that begins with m ( not metal slug, thats expensive 2) and i realize that i can get a backup on cdr, but the games arent fun on cdrs, and the loading tyme sux 2 i hear.

Back