MP3 to WAV

A while ago, I ripped an old CD to MP3. I now lost that CD and am contemplating converting back to WAV, basically to put back onto CD. I am a stickler for music, and that whole MP3 thing was a fad of mine years ago: I don't like the format because you always lose qualirty, etc. But I happened to record these MP3s at 320kps, meaning each MP3 is around 8 megs instead of the usual 4. If I were to convert back, would there be much loss? I can't remember the kind of encoding I did, I think it was just VBR. Also, it's at 320kps, 2 stereo, 44khz. Thanks!

Apparently some MP3>wav converters use different methods; dithering, rounding and suchlike of the floating-point samples can lead to ever-so-slightly different end files. However, to your ears, they should sound mostly the same, with no perceptible quality loss, as it290 said.

Some decompressers for MP3 that I do know of are the Fraunhofer one from Windows, LAME, MAD and mpglib. Needless to say there will be more, either as separate programs or as part of CD burning applications, media players and the like. If you are more interested in which decompresser will give best quality, I'm afraid I can't be of much help.

There should be a 'definitive' decompresser, which produces the most accurate .wavs from an MP3, but I am not so sure as to which it is. You may want to check out hydrogenaudio.org and ask there?

Either way, you shouldn't have much trouble and no real loss of quality once you've picked your decompresser! Best of luck. :)

Back