Major problem!

My almost 4-year old geforce1 died this weekend... nothing special, it was giving some strange probs sometimes... Just to make sure it wasn't agp's fault, i used another card from a friend's pc and it worked perfectly.. so I gave him the card back, and have been using a tnt2 pci card that I had here...

So.. this morning I woke up.. the pc was working perfectly... went to a computer store and bought a geforce4 fx5200.. when i got home.. I turned off my pc swapped the cards and when i turned it on.... nothing happens... PC's fans aren't even working...

Then I started testing a lot of things.. I started with the PSU.. used it in another computer and it worked perfectly... after that, with the psu back in my pc, i took of psu's connector to the mobo, and shorted two pins (green & black) and then plugged the power cord and PSU's fan worked and hdd's cdrom's fdd's powered on also... so I think PSU is ok...

Next I removed everything from the mobo.. just left the cpu in... still doesn't turn ON.. doesn't even gives a life signal :(

I though about Power switch may be faulty.. so I used the reset switch connector and plugged it on PowerSW pins.. still doesn't work...

I've also tried without the CPU in... same thing... completely dead... (do mobo's start up without a cpu in?)

I'm out of ideas.... :(

PC's specs:

P3 600Mhz (133mhz fsb)

512MB RAM 133mhz

sound card.. the video card... and a nic..

Edit: I've also tried removing the cmos battery... and moving around that cmos reset jumper...

Hey dude, I think GF FX is heavy on power consumption. Get yourself a 350-420 Watt PSU, and it should work fine. I have a mobo, which works fine with 350W PSU and GF3, and doesn't work with 350W PSU and Radeon 9800Pro. However if I use my new 420W PSU, all works fine again.

Recent components are too hot, and they dissipate a lot of energy. Especially stuff like latest Radeons and GeForces and Athlon XP / Barton CPUs.

Are you sure the graphic card you got was the right voltage? I know some AGP mother boards can only run 1.5v cards, and if u put one in thats to much it fries the board.

Luckly my Asus mobo has a built in thing that wont let the pc start up and damage itself if i were to make such a mistake.

Yes I'd say that was the problem. The newer AGP 4x/8x standards (likely what the FX5200 uses) are different from the old 1x/2x. A motherboard of that vintage probably only complys with the original specification. Still, I would have though that'd fry the new graphics card instead of the motherboard.

damn.. :(

I didn't think about that voltage detail.... * slaps himself *

I guess that's it... I'll try the gfx card tomorrow on my friends pc.. I still have some hope that the card is okay... :unsure:

I think I can find a _new_ motherboard.. hope it is the only thing that died... :( :(

Thank you guys..

Originally posted by dhau@Nov 24, 2003 @ 03:57 PM

Hey dude, I think GF FX is heavy on power consumption.

Not a 5200.

Anyway, you could replace the board. If it is indeed toast - you could always borrow your friend's GPU again to test it out. But a decent replacement board with AGP and everything may cost a bit more than I would think its worth. At that point I almost wonder if it isn't better to get a cheap Athlon board and a lowend Athlon XP. You could get something based on SiS 735 and there are SDR-based KT266 (maybe even 266A) boards.

Some good news... just tried out the 5200 on another pc and it worked perfectly :) it's pretty strange though... if anything got toasted would be the gfx card only or both mobo and the gfx...

What about a g4 mx440 can it run on older agp slots?

the older versions of AGP slots (1X and 2X, I think) have different voltages than the newer revisions. I think the slots are slightly different on the ends too.

Originally posted by IBarracudaI@Nov 25, 2003 @ 03:51 AM

I guess that's it... I'll try the gfx card tomorrow on my friends pc.. I still have some hope that the card is okay... :unsure:

Yeah i dont know if it damages the card, i just know i read that it can damage the mobo. Considering the fact it worked fine b4 u put the new card in it seems to be the most likely cause.

Originally posted by RitualOfTheTrout+Nov 25, 2003 @ 10:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RitualOfTheTrout @ Nov 25, 2003 @ 10:32 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-IBarracudaI@Nov 25, 2003 @ 03:51 AM

Yeah i dont know if it damages the card, i just know i read that it can damage the mobo. Considering the fact it worked fine b4 u put the new card in it seems to be the most likely cause. [/b][/quote]

my video card came with a warning in the manual.

I think my mobo did too

Back