Looking for suggestions ...

I'll be dropping the argument soon anyways, but if RPG is going to be a genre, it has to be unique. Just like all other genres. They are unique. You can tell them apart. If RPG's were originally intended to be role-playing-games (taking the role of characters), then the inventers of the genre really stuffed up, because they didn't realise that you take the role of a character in nearly every game all across many different genres (as I said before). The whole point of catergorising games into genres is so that when someone asks "What's a good strategy game for GBA?" he will get strategy games thrown his way. If this RPG dilemma is never resolved then questions such as "What's a good RPG for the GBA?" will get trash responses, and in order to find some RPG's, you'll have to sift through a whole lot of crap that people have thrown in there (whether it's because you have exp points and can level up, whether you can buy armor, swords and other equipment, whether it has a linear storyline, etc).

If RPG's were originally intended to be role-playing-games (taking the role of characters), then the inventers of the genre really stuffed up, because they didn't realise that you take the role of a character in nearly every game all across many different genres (as I said before).

The term was not invented for video/computer games; they borrowed it from pen-and-paper role-playing games, for which the distinction is arguably much more meaningful (compare the role-playing aspect of Dungeons and Dragons to, say, chess or poker). The mechanics and themes of these games vary quite widely, but the traditional example has been Dungeons and Dragons, and most RPGs are still at least partly based on themes and/or mechanics that D&D popularized. The actual work - throwing dice, doing the math, making maps, etc. involved in playing pen-and-paper RPGs is a nontrivial matter for many players. It is this aspect of the experience that video/computer games are most capable of altering, and the one that you seem to give the most weight to. It's worth considering, however, the possibility that the rules and mechanics of an RPG can be abstracted in a video game without destroying the underlying concepts...

Shining force 1 & 2 are the best games for Genesis... Landstalker is also a good rpg they are the ony rpgs I played back in the days but now due to emulation I have played all the rpgs on genesis(which isnt that many) and they are still the only good ones... Crusader of centy is also good though

Back