Import games - Yet another "how do I get imports working" po

I've got a US NTSC SNES, and I've recently come into possesion of a PAL copy of Pilotwings.

Is there a way to play it or do I need to get a converter, if so which one and where is a good place to get one?

Stealth0707: That link is useless for what Karny is trying to do; it only works for running Japanese games on a US system or US games on a Japanese system.

Karny: short of buying a PAL SNES, there are three things you can do as far as I know:

1) Make a switch to enable/disable the "lock" CIC inside the SNES. A 50/60Hz switch might not be a bad idea either, since the game may have a 50/60Hz check (though I've heard only later games have them).

Instructions for the CIC disable can be found here (including a more in-depth explanation of how the CIC works) or here (quick summary with a couple pics).

Instructions for a 50/60Hz switch can be found here.

2) Use an import adapter. These can't get around the 50/60Hz check (at least the ones I saw; in theory it is possible with an Action Replay/Game Genie type function), but are the least messy route. I have no idea where to find one. Once I get the kinks ironed out of my PCB fabrication process, I might be able to make one for you.

EDIT: You have to get one that is made for compatibility between NTSC and PAL games/carts - a simple slot extender will NOT work, it either has to have its own boot chip or it has to have two slots (one for the cart with the boot chip, and one for the game you want to run).

3) Find a crappy US/Japan game that you could live without. Open it up and desolder the CIC. Open up your PAL Pilotwings cart and replace the PAL CIC with the NTSC one. Messy, potentially expensive, and only fixes the one game. Kind of sucks if you ask me :p.

(Edited by ExCyber at 11:19 pm on Nov. 1, 2001)

Sounds to me like you would just be better off buying a pal system then going through all that. How did you end up with a pal game anyways Karny?

Firstly thanks Ex for the outstanding info! As always you've been a great help.

Secondly, Fabrizo, I live in a PAL country, so more often than not the games i find here are PAL. I just happen to have a NTSC system and games and I was careless when I bought this game.

I don't really have any games I'd like to sacrifice or the electronics kno how to fashion my own CIC cart so I guess I'd best be on the look out for either a PAL machine or a converter...

Once again thanks for all your help :)

Well, on the converter front, I did manage to get a good look at the SNES/SFC cart slot, and it appears to be a semicustom 70-pin (which is a standard count) slot. I think it could be reproduced with reasonable performance if I could find keying plugs...

As it turns out, Digi-Key does have the keying plugs (did the search while writing this message, hehe :)). I should probably do a bit more research to see if they've got a suitable connector and such, not to mention re-evaluating the suitability of their recently expanded Flash selection for my genesis flash cart...
/me tries really hard not to turn this into a project to RE the CIC scheme...

On the cart slot front, here's a Q from someone fashioning their PAL machine to be multi-region -

Any guides as to how to adjust the PAL cart slot for US games? I don't have any US carts atm, so I can't test for myself... any ideas??

-Mangaman-

At the risk of stating the obvious (here goes anyway), if Pilotwings is your only exception why not sell it and get an NTSC copy? You'd most likely not make a loss, I don't think it's a particularly rare game or anything. Cheaper than buying a new SNES I'm sure.

ExCyber: Try as I might I just cannot get this image of you as a mad scientist out of my head :) 'Next I will create a Mega Drive that plays against me, so player 2 is expendable.. MMWAHAHAHA'

(Edited by Myname at 1:24 pm on May 8, 2002)

Back