Honey I Blew Up the SNES - Modifications gone wrong...

Okay, I was going to the trouble of adding a 50/60hz switch and a switch to enable/disable the security chip... and now the damn machine won't work. No power is going through it at all - the light LED thing won't even light up. Hence I've fruited the machine... or so it seems.

But my question is how? I lifted pin 30 of the PPU2 without a problem, but had some difficulty with pin 24 of PPU1 (I hate those damn chips...)... which is where I think I've royally stuffed up... or maybe it's from drawing ground and +5v from the oscillator (is that what it's called? Mr I G O? Damn I'm technical :)) for both switches?

Any help for this bad modder? I've only ever blown two machines - a Mega Drive in my early days and now my SNES. *sob* and it was in practically mint condition as well :( I took good care of that one :(

-Mangaman-

maybe it's from drawing ground and +5v from the oscillator (is that what it's called? Mr I G O? Damn I'm technical ) for both switches?
That sounds like a voltage regulator, which isn't an altogether unreasonable component from which to draw power. :wink:

If you shorted it somehow (e.g. by screwing up the switch wiring or shorting terminals on the switches), then it might have fried. If you have a meter, check for 5VDC (or thereabouts) between "O" and "G".

Quote: from ExCyber on 3:25 am on May 17, 2002
If you shorted it somehow (e.g. by screwing up the switch wiring or shorting terminals on the switches), then it might have fried. If you have a meter, check for 5VDC (or thereabouts) between "O" and "G".

Thanks for the input - I guessed I'd fried it to that degree ^^;;; Is there any way of fixing te problem? i.e. new voltage regulator? Or is this one SNES that's gone to heaven?

You're the king ExCyber!

-Mangaman-

Is there any way of fixing te problem? i.e. new voltage regulator?
Assuming that it was actually the voltage regulator (did you check it?) and nothing else got fried in the process, then it's probably possible to just replace the voltage regulator. You might want to look at the one in there and note the part number - it's probably just a 7805 (a widely available +5V regulator), but it never hurts to check.

Well, I bought myself another SNES, and guess what? The bloody thing stopped working! I am **very** annoyed and figure I've done something wrong again... the funny thing is I didn't even mod it! Here's what happened:

- Bought SNES, took it home, took it apart, noted that it had the 160-leg chip, left it sitting in the plastic case
- Bought Chrono Trigger :))), thought I'd give it a test run before modding the SNES; took that machine into the room other room and switched on and enjoyed brief Chrono goodness. It kept freezing early on, so I turned off and when I plugged in the cart again (converter cart with Chrono up top and Zelda in the back), no power. The bloody thing blew.
- I'm not sure what to make of this... I've modded all the other consoles in the house and never had a problem like this... so here are some thoughts:
--> I left the shielding on the rear sitting on its spot on the board, but didn't screw it shut. Could this have done it?
--> Should I put it all back together, sans the top plastic cover, when I go to test the machine? I normally just plug the board in (sitting in the bottom half of the plastic case) to the power and an A/V cable and test that way... is the SNES uber-sensitive to... well, something?
--> Can I fix this annoying thing on my (now 2) dud machines? Power doesn't go at all... I might have to get one of those multimeters and test...
--> I noticed that the spring for the eject switch/lever was actually beneath the board (after the board stopped working, as always *grumble*) - could this have caused a short and made it blow?
--> Any other thoughts? I don't really want to accidentally blow another machine... it's getting pricey and SNES units are hard to come by outside of eBay. It's killing my otherwise fab track-record as well...

BTW, with hooking the lockout-switch, should I use the 0v and +5v points on the regulator even though I'm already going to use them for the 50/60hz switch?

Thanks for all the help!!!!!! I feel like such a pest!

-Mangaman-

Back