Faking a server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking about what would be needed for the development process. I doubt that the idea of riggin up a gateway system with 4 modems or buying 4 BBAs to reverse engineer the protocol would appeal to most developers.

edit: never mind, I'm thinking of the in-game stuff, which should be among the DCs anyhow. Still, it will be necessary to connect multiple clients to the server to test it, and I doubt anyone wants to throw a LAN party for every build.
biggrin.gif

well if this is only for a local LAN you have to consider the following:

How many PSO Dreamcast owners have either a LAN of DCs or have multiple DC owner friends that have a BBA and also play PSO?

There's nothing special about supporting LANs. It's all IP, the only difference is where you're sending the packets. The bulk of the work in any case would be reverse engineering the protocol.

If you set up a fake server in your own home and hook up a few copies of PSO to it inside your house...

I guess you can call it a LAN...

Anyway, I'm not that interested in the DC version (as the only DC I have access to reboots every once in a while)

I'm interested in getting the GC version working
happy.gif

I don't know who it was that even brought the DC version into this...

Ever since I started this topic, I've been speaking of the GC (GAME CUBE) version...

(I realy hope that people see the difference between D and G)

someone on the DC emu forms was working on it clamied to have the lobby up but hadnt gotten the normal game going... its quite possible but ud have to hack ur copy of PSO and change it alot to connect to the fake server...

someone on the DC emu forms was working on it clamied to have the lobby up but hadnt gotten the normal game going... its quite possible but ud have to hack ur copy of PSO and change it alot to connect to the fake server...

ohmy.gif
-Someone, please, help me, I'm scared...

I actually thought about something like this a long time ago but I wasn't thinking about pso at the time... Or gamecube...

Remember daytona for DC? From what I understand the server IP was hardcoded onto the disc. (talk about lack of forsight) The game was down almost as fast as it came out. The rumor was that sega no longer had the IP in question. I found this hard to believe but oh well I guess.

I was thinking that it would be possible to set up a fake server from basically any pc on the net. Then hook the dc modem into a modem on your pc which is wired to the net via a bb connection.

Basic idea was to then:

1. set pc up to "answer the phone" when the dreamcast was told to dial up to an isp. The pc would fake the entire dial up isp connection.

2. The fake isp running in the pc would fake the ip that daytona was looking for the server at and redirect it to the ip of the fake "server" pc where ever it is on the net.

3. BAMM!!! You're playing daytona online even though sega killed it.

Main problem: As if I have the technical know how to set any of this up, lol.

It would definately be possible though, no question.

Although I will most likely never get my dream of daytona online filled, if one were so inclined they could bring back dreamcast online.

I'm sure none of this belongs on the pso board but this topic made me think of it again, lol.

Back on topic, why would you need to set a lan up to play gc pso anyway? If you're posting here you have an internet connection. Just use a router to get 4 gc's online and make a private room eh?

Nah, no licenses would be needed for Daytone...

I got the feeling that if someone actualy manages to make a fake server for that one, making it license free (just giving random fake licenses) would be no big problem...

Shame that I'm the only one that seems to show great interest in these "big" projects... (and also for some reason seems to come up with some of them...)

Anyway, I wish I could do some great hacking + had some "greater" knowledge in programming, and I'd give it a shot...

So... with only an high IQ and no skills...

All I can do is write down how the damn things should work (theoreticly)

Well... maybe in the future... maybe... future...

Funny thing came to my attention...

Anyone familiar with how to boot backups on a GC?

well, it´s done by using PSO, connecting the GC to a computer, connecting to the computer through the correct IP seetings and stuff in PSO...

And bang, you´ré already faking a PSO server (partialy)

And thanks to that, you can play backups...

But, if this "server faking" could be taken one step further...

LAN play would soon be possibly ^_^

You're not faking a server. You're tricking the game into downloading a patch from your computer instead of Sega's patch server. And please drop that "backup" bullshit.

Yup, and by tricking the game to download a patch from another "server" than the normal one, we´re already on the right track for achieving my goal ^_

As for the backup thing...

Well, why the hell shouldn´t I use that word...

Okay, I bet 99,99999999999999% percent of the users of that "trick" doesnt use it for playing backups, but downloaded junk.

I was just using the word as it´s "typical/normal" to use.

Originally posted by Carnivol@Oct 15, 2003 @ 09:26 PM

As for the backup thing...

Well, why the hell shouldn´t I use that word...

Because we don't talk about copied 'current' games here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back