Compaq actually impresses me

racketboy

Established Member
I've always dispised Compaq PCs. Moslty because of their crapy proprietary stuff and hard-to-manuver-around-inside cases.

Well I was browsing though my local CompUSA add and this PC caught my eye.

I noticed the case was one of CoolerMaster newer models, but the ad said it was a Compaq PC. Sure enough it was.

Compaq is acutally using a standard (and a nice one too) PC case and actually tells you want components are inside.

Have a look.

Unfortunately its only a CompUSA exclusive right now.

Maybe other big PC companies will catch on for higher-end stuff

I don't know much about the desktop lines, but I've owned two compaq laptops, and compared to my two previous Thinkpads, I'd take my Armada/Evo over them any time. I simply love them. Right now I have a Compaq Evo N1015v.

Isn't evo the pro line of compaq laptops costing a lot more than laptops with comparable parts in them though? I've had to work on compaqs in the past, and I wholeheartedly tell people that want a pc but don't want a custom built one to stay away from compaq.

Not only that, but I can't help but feel that system is over priced. I mean it does have a dvd-rw in it which ups the cost, and I don't build p4 systems or put nvidia graphics cards in pc's so I'm not so good with the prices on that stuff, but that seems REALLY expensive.

well people I know haven't had good experiences with Compaq Presario laptops. One died within a couple months.

I like the Deskpro that I modded and upgraded into my music/file server. But that's about it

edit: 4000th post!!! :cool:

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Nov 21, 2003 @ 07:51 PM

Not only that, but I can't help but feel that system is over priced. I mean it does have a dvd-rw in it which ups the cost, and I don't build p4 systems or put nvidia graphics cards in pc's so I'm not so good with the prices on that stuff, but that seems REALLY expensive.

I thought so too, but I was just impressed by the fact that they didn't use their normal compaq stuff.

I'm not actually expecting anyone on here to buy one -- it's just the fact that it was very un-Compaq-like

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Nov 20, 2003 @ 11:51 PM

Isn't evo the pro line of compaq laptops costing a lot more than laptops with comparable parts in them though?

Business machines tend to be more expensive, but I can say with certainty that they are built much better than the regular consumer machines. Better design and functionality. And spec wise, they are the same, but use different motherboards. Go figure.

I've read a lot of people have had issues with Compaq. I honestly haven't had any with the machines I've owned. I don't think I take any better care of them than most people (I dropped my Armada a couple of times, actually - still ran flawlessly).

But who knows. Maybe I'm lucky, I guess.

When I looked at laptops a few months ago I think I remember seeing the evo line being over $1000 more expensive than a comparable laptop from like dell or sager.

Thinkpads can be pricey comparitively, but usually you get what you pay for.

At work we buy Dell laptops, but we've had numerous field agents bring them in with problems. (Although some of them don't take care of them the best)

it does have a dvd-rw in it which ups the cost

Not by that much; the Pioneer DVR-106 can be obtained for $130, and it's better than the drive in that system (at least by virtue of being dual-format).

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Nov 21, 2003 @ 12:56 AM

When I looked at laptops a few months ago I think I remember seeing the evo line being over $1000 more expensive than a comparable laptop from like dell or sager.

Funny, I sold my Dell (the New Inspiron, replaced the 4100 line) to buy this Evo. (Note: I hated that piece of junk. Do NOT buy a Dell if you can help it)

However, Evos aren't that expensive. It depends on the model obviously - the high Evos with the FireGL 128MB are quite expensive. My evo, of course, wasn't nearly expensive (just $900 new).

Yeah, I have a pioneer A06 :D

But just because a drive is better doesn't mean it retails for more expensive lol, the drive they put in there is probably more expensive despite not being as good.

Back