Building a new collection (advice / help?)

Once upon a time I had a master system, and strangely enough the kids next door had one too, but they had the 3D pack, which was really cool, but that was it... everyone else I knew had a NES. I amassed some high quality games in that time...

Then once I got a Genesis I bought a shiny new power base converter. This was good because our Master System controllers were really worn out from intense use. So for a while, all was well. But then, my mother gave away my old master system and all of our old games to some kids whose family was kind of poor and couldn't afford to buy them Christmas presents one year. So, yeah, great, charitable, and for a little while it seemed like a good idea, but in retrospect, I wonder why we couldn't have just got them something more useful than a bunch of old Sega games that I was collecting, or got them a Nintendo Gameboy or something. Especially since games like Wonder Boy II (Monster Land) had cost $70 at the time I got them! But, I digress... Without a use for the converter, it found its way into a garage sale (dumb dumb dumb) and I focused on finding Sega CD games instead. (Again, a pain, because the distribution network just wasn't there for Sega.)

(btw forgive me for rambling a bit :blah)

Anyways, here in the present, I finally have a kickass Genesis setup (nearly new CDX I got in a pawn shop, with Cambridge Soundworks speakers hooked up to the line out, mega mouse for playing AD&D, NEW game controllers, genuine AV hookups, etc.) For me, emulators just don't do the real thing justice.

So, yesterday, I managed to win an auction for all four Phantasy Star games (1 through 4) with boxes, labels, instructions, etc., all in good to near-mint condition for $40 (Not too bad I'd say!!!) :cheers :thumbs-up:

So, now that I am on my way to securing myself a power base converter again with which to play Phantasy Star I (since I've never played it before) I went through the eBay SMS listings and started picking off stuff left right and center, only to realize that I haven't really got a clue about what SMS games I should look for. My knowledge of SMS games is limited to the games I owned before (about 15) and the 3D glasses games my friends next door owned. And Wonder boy... I had played Monster Land in an arcade somewhere and asked for it for Christmas (and got it!) but everything else it was, "what looks the neatest in the posters they stick in the games" and a crap shoot, and I've long since forgotten what was on those posters.)

I'm also wondering if anyone can tell me about certain titles, such as Golvellius, or Transbot for that matter. Never heard of 'em before now.

Ah! wish youd posted this about a week ago.. I just ebayed off about 20 doubles of master system games I had (all in box too). Anyway, the 3D glasses are cool, but there was only a few games made that support them, 6 or 7, I think in that range. Cool games you should get off the bat...Kenseiden, Wonder Boy III The Dragons Trap, Shinobi, Alex Kidd In Miracle World to name a few. And Golvellius is kind of segas answer to Zelda, although it has parts where it is side scroller, but when you go above ground it is an overhead view, it is a good game.

Ah. See I had never heard of Golvellius before because I never saw it in a store or on a poster. (I was just a kid when I had an SMS before).

Too bad, but there's a lot of SMS auctions on Ebay, most for games in really good shape. Kind of strange, if you ask me: there's fewer SMS games than Genesis games lying around out there, but the SMS ones have seen less action.

I haven't played it, but I've always heard of Golden Axe Warrior being the SMS answer to Zelda.

have a friend who just won an auction on ebay, of the 3d glasses, and 3 or 4 of the 3d games. All of it in original mint boxes, with instruction books, in mint condition. It looked like none of it had ever been used.

Originally posted by it290@Dec 18, 2003 @ 05:50 PM

I haven't played it, but I've always heard of Golden Axe Warrior being the SMS answer to Zelda.

Never played it either, but I just looked up some screenshots of it and everthing I read is comparing it to zelda. It does look moreso like zelda because it all looks to be overhead, while golvellius does have that too, it also has those side view and upwards scrolling levels.

In terms of master system 3d games, I'd get missile defense and zaxxon(missile defense requires lightgun).

One of my favorite SMS games was Bomber Raid, it's basically a 1945-type arcade shooter.

My Favorite co-op master system game has always been Rambo: First Blood Pt.2 .

Enduro Racer is like excite bike, and it rocks too.

My favorite SMS game of all though.... it's a tie between Phantasy Star and Alien Syndrome. They are both kick ass games.

Back