Window and plane A

Hello,

I'm using plane B for main display, but when I added plane A I observed a strange behaivour. Window and plane A cannot overlap. Tiles on plane A over window just don't show up.

But if I set windows to size 4x4 cells, and I write some text on it, even if it is longer than 4 cells, it still draws. I can print a 8 or 10 chars long message over the windows, being set in $11 and $12 VDP registers as 4x4 cells...

Why??

Thank you

Originally posted by patroclus02@Sun, 2006-02-26 @ 04:43 PM

Hello,

I'm using plane B for main display, but when I added plane A I observed a strange behaivour. Window and plane A cannot overlap. Tiles on plane A over window just don't show up.

The window and plane A are exclusive to each other. Techincally the window is displayed using the plane A hardware, so they can't exist within the same screen area.

Think of the available planes being B and A *or* W instead of all three.

But if I set windows to size 4x4 cells, and I write some text on it, even if it is longer than 4 cells, it still draws. I can print a 8 or 10 chars long message over the windows, being set in $11 and $12 VDP registers as 4x4 cells...

Why??

Hmm. Emulators (Genecyst) don't get this right if you are testing in one.

If this happens on the real hardware, maybe you are assigning plane A and W to the same name table? Or did you take note that the window size is in 2-cell units, so maybe when you set it to 4 cells across, it's really 8?

I'm testin on Gens.

No, Plane A table is at different position.

Different characters are displayed in both plane A and W. It seems strange. Plane does not show where window is, so I really know my windows is 4x4 (I wirte 2 to Window size VDP registers).

But the text on window goes out...

Back