what if?

I had the idea of starting a company, that could bring old systmes like the genesis or sega saturn back into production, that has the molds for the case, and other perepherals, and software? any thoughts ideas?, if you have anything that you wanted to bring back into production for games maybey this can become a reality
happy.gif
, if anything i would bring the genesis, and the sega cd back into production

All the custom and obsolete ICs in these things mean manufacturing new consoles exactly like the originals is practically impossible. You could do emulation in hardware via programmable logic or custom ICs, or just put a computer inside the case and do it in software.

You'd certainly hope that the design documentation would have been archived, but with companies being bought, going bust etc. who knows. That's only part of it though. Just being able to open some 15-20 years old EDA tool files can be a challenge in and of itself. From what little I know about semiconductor manufacturing, the designs are also usually very closely tailored to a manufacturer's specific process, so even if you got hold of the IC masks you may not be able to just send them off to a foundry for fabrication as the fabs used back in the day are most likely to either have closed or moved to completely different processes by now.

Rather than try to use the original chips you should use one of today's microprocessor chips and run emulation software on it. But that would be the least of your problems. As I mentioned before you would never be able to make profits from it when there are already plug-in units with built in games on them out there.

segasaturnenthusiast said:
yeah but nothing beats the original
happy.gif

And that's the rest of the problem - you can get "new" old consoles cheap most anywhere. Some are more expensive, like TG-16/PCE, but Genesis and SNES are a dime a dozen. Most people ask why buy a new clone when you can get the REAL deal off eBay or some vintage place for $10 to $20. SEGA and Nintendo (among others) dumped their remaining stock when the market on the older consoles died, so now there are hundreds of thousands of units floating around at next to nothing prices.

I think there is a market and small void to fill, but I think it is with the games, not the systems.

There's already plenty of systems. There's probably enough 2nd hand genesis systems to supply entire population of people interested in this already, and then there are all the brazil-made duo-systems and retro-gen systems out there. The systems are covered.

Remaking old chips is expensive. If you had to make the asic yourself, it would run about 2 million dollars, and at these volumes each chip would cost 100's of dollars. But you could emulate the whole thing in an ARM A8 micro or fpga for 20$.

I think the fun and market is in the games. We need to produce new fun games for old systems. This will create a positive feedback as it will convince people to go buy the old consoles to play new games, and then they will want even more new games.

I think it would be fun because the games we make could be focused on fun gameplay and aesthetically pleasing 16-bit graphics, rather than shallow visual-fest interactive cinema or family-friendly throw-away titles of the modern day systems.

The problem is that you could also do this for the download sections of the current gen systems. As most of them are releasing old games as downloads. The problem is they just don't play, look, or feel right. You need the original controller. And you need the original video output. The biggest problem is they are just lost in the crowd. There's so much for download now, it's not easy for a low-budget gameplay-centered non-licensed game to stand out. But it would stand out if it was released as a cart for an old system.

Now I think carts are expensive and difficult to make. I think the games should be released on CDRs for the Sega CD. They they can contain great audio tracks, have additional support for rotation and more colors, and still support all the genesis features. I also think releasing 32X-CDs would be a great way to add more colors and power, and some better polygon crunching or more sprites on scren.

I think a lot of turbo-CD or neo-geo games could be ported to a 32X-CD. Or at least games along those vibes.

It would be difficult to actually turn a profit, it would need to be more of a hobby mostly funded by another venture. Maybe making the games open-source would allow creating the games themselves be almost free, and then you can probably make enough revenue to support a small distributon and marketing channel.

If profit is the desire, I think the next big market will be downloadable phone games. They'll surpass even console games in sales within a few years, if they haven't already. We probably will not see any more portable consoles after the next round of PSP2 and 3DS, it'll all be phones after that. But that's a sell out to the retro gaming community in my eyes!

A new game is a good idea. Looking at the most recent Mega Drive game Pier Solar they can't seem to make enough copies for all the people who want to buy it. They keep selling out!

Another good idea would be to create a console that could play any Sega game from any platform. eg. Dreamcast, Saturn, Mega Drive, Master System, 32X, Mega CD. People woild buy that just to save on space.

Back