Tristar 64 question

You know that Tristar 64 thing that is supposed to let you play SNES games on the N64? Or maybe it was called something else, I can't really remember. Could that thing be emulated as an N64 rom which you couold patch SNES roms onto to play them on a Dr. V64 Jr. or something? Or is that not possible because it needs the hardware to translate it to N64 code? Maybe you could plug an SNES game into the tristar, then rip that as an N64 game, and do that with each game?

I have a V64 Jr. but I don't know whether it can backup games or just download them. (I used to have a regular Doctor V64 but no more). I don't have the tristar though. I wonder if anyone's ever tried this?

I asked on IRC, and someone wrote this back:

"no, the tristar 64 is a hardware emulator, not software
it's not like it has little snes/nes emus built into it"

That doesn't make much sense to me though, because it is still ultimately converted to N64 code so it can be run on the N64, just like the hardware of any cartridge sends data through the n64. Or could it be possible that the tristar is a fully functioning SNES and NES and it runs the games itself, only receiving controller input from the N64 and sending display info to the TV through the N64, and not actually running any of the code on the N64? Man, maybe I should sell my SNES and NES and get the tristar just so I can try this :)

The Tristar doesn't convert SNES/NES code to N64 code. The only thing it uses from the N64 is it controller ports. The Tristar has built in NES and SNES clones and has it's own video output.

Back