Trial an error aproachs produced error

Well some time ago I tried to mod my Genesis (Model 1) with a blue fading LED, the problem I had was the power supply, the

standard led connector on the genesis hadn't enough power for the circuit to run it, so i decided to solder it somewhere on the board where i thought could work, well it did. Stupid thing it faded no matter wether the genesis was powered or not, well that wasn't what i wanted so I tried to follow the board tracks on both sides to find a way which only powerd the circuit with the on/off switch.

Not an easy task as in the end I had to guess for the tracks did disapear under some parts on the board so I only could guess which one was which one and which ones would have changed board sides under the part.

Lonmg story short, I found a place and to my astonishment (I totally understand nothing of electronics) it worked without harm to the Genesis, perfectly.

Well the long time test failed, but not as I thought, my concern was that the Genesis itself would not have enough power to run or would get to much in another place through the parallel connection of my circuit, well it turned out that after approx. 10 minutes the controllers start toi smell funny like coloquium ;), well at that moment they cease to work, means certain buttons refuse to work.

So if anyone has an idea where on the board i could get power for my circuit and where I can safely give it back to the board in a way that it is only powered if the genny is.

I would like to hear.

Thx,

Cheung Tak Wah

:p

You can try do this (well, something like this):

------------------------------------Stong5V (direct from the adaptater 5V)

MD5VWhenpowerON - Resistor _|/

------------------------------------ \

------------------------------------ Your mod circuit

Using a NPN transistor.

So you'll get a circuit with strong power supply and only on when system is "on".

I think I'll try this. If I understand it right the base goes right to somewhere, where there is only power when the gen is turned on. C,E are directly from the powersupply to my circuit, which goes back to powersupply, not that it would harm my circuit, but isn't the direct powersupply of md/gen 10 volts? Means for that you wrote, 5V, did I get the idea or am I misleaded by something?

I'm not sure how you connected it originally from your description, but as far as I know it should work to put it between the 5V rail (7805 output, should be in a bunch of places on the board) and ground (of course available all over the place), but you want a resistor in between to limit the current, around 220Ohm probably but the exact value depends on the mA rating of your LED and how bright you want it to be.

Back