Still getting surges/browns with UPS

racketboy

Established Member
I got this message from my Intel sensor software:

11/14/03 18:07:32

A voltage (+3.3 V) has returned to its recommended range.

11/14/03 18:07:31

A voltage (+3.3 V) has gone outside of its recommended range.

The "acceptible range" I have set up is 4.3 through 2.3

I've gotten these messages on occasion before, but now I have my $100 TrippLite UPS/Line Conditioner hooked up.

What's the deal?

He said Intel sensor software, so I'd assume that is happening past that. What kind of PSU are you using? Actually, I don't know what the acceptable fluctuations are for the 3.3... but the UPS is cleaning the power that comes through, so its not the outside power that is causing this problem.

Yeah 3.3 volts would be from the PSU itself. So it's either not supplying enough (most likely and the cause for random reboots and stuff) or too much (unlikely cause you'd have fried bits by now).

Install Motherboard Monitor and start it's logging. Check to see if the 3.3+ volt (or any of them) have gone off what they're supposed to. Chances are it's a faulty PSU.

my 3.3 runs at 3.42 but hasn't caused any problems yet *shrug* much as my 5 runs at 4.95, and my 12 runs at 12.17. All those are within acceptable rates, or so I've heard.

Yeah, as others have stated, it's the PSU that's causing those types of problems, but missing the mark by a whole volt is quite a lot. Is that software the soft that came with your motherboard? Try sitting at the BIOS screen and watching the voltages from there for a while. They probably won't fluctuate as much since there isn't anything going on with the machine, though.

missing the mark by a whole volt is quite a lot

I think you misplaced a decimal point somewhere. These variations are all less than 0.2v. The 3.3v line is over by almost 4%, which I think is a bit marginal, but it should be within tolerance.

edit: nm, I guess you were talking about the fluctuations mentioned earlier. It sounds like they're going over rather than under, or the OS shouldn't have survived to log the second reading...

it's the software that came with my motherboard.

no actual problems with my PC seemed to happen.

I forgot what brand my PSU is, but before I bought it I asked around the Ars Technica boards to see if it was good one. The all said they were pretty reliable.

Here's my settings:

Attachments

• sensor.gif
    sensor.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 61
  • sensor.gif
    sensor.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 69
It could possibly be the fault of power distribution components on the mainboard as well (e.g. a bad capacitor), but it doesn't seem to be clear exactly where the measurements are being taken.

so what should I do

should I even worry? remember, if it wasn't for the software, I wouldn't even know about it since I haven't had any side effects (yet)

I'm not sure how much you can do. If you had another appropriate PSU available, you could see if yours is having problems. If not, and it was the mainboard... is it under warranty?

Ehh... it depends if its the PSU that is at fault. If not, then buying a PSU would be kind of... wasteful. I'd try to borrow a PSU, or get one from a place with an easy-to-abuse return policy. If you still have issues, it may well be the mainboard. Which is why I asked if it was under warranty.

well I turned up the sensitivity of my TrippLite a few days ago.

Just last night it beeped for a little while and all the lights lit up.

The power didn't seem to go out.

Also I didn't get any messages on my PC.

Any thoughts?

You could of course have really shittiy power comming into your house. You'd be surprised how bad it can be sometimes. You just never noticed it before because alot of equipment is designed to deal with very large power variations.

Back