Speakers or Headphones?

Curtis

Established Member
I just got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT831s and I'm loving them. I usually use headphones whether I'm playing games, watching TV or listening to music and these are the best pair I've ever had. Just curious, what's your preference?

I like it the headphones too. Mine are nothing special, just a Plantronics gaming headset.

Headphones baby!

Although I watch TV and play Games with speakers. The cord on my Headphones always swings around in front of the screen, so it's distracting.

Fuck that shiznit... thats just cause you got parents and flat mates. god damn i only wear these god awful things at work cause i know the rest of my crew aint wanna hear my shit... at home the the walls shake, the floor rattles and if the neighbors call the cops i just skin another cat and hang it over the plaster wall that seperates our backyards. AHHHHHHH

whenever im doing a mixing session i will always cary my trusty sony cans (headphones) with me so i have a consistent point of reference. Cans are great for the price when compared to speakers of a similar frequency response. My sony's can go down to 4Hz which is pretty good for such a small driver. However nothing beats a $12,000 pair of Genelic 3 ways!

Depends what I'm watching and what time it is. More often than not, I just use the TV speakers. I rarely turn on the surround system anymore. About the only time I use the stereo anymore is when I need to use my headphones due to watching something with loud sex scenes or watching something at 3 AM, where I don't want my little sister in the next room hearing it or getting woke up by it. And there've been a few cases, ususaly bad dubs of Hong Kong action flicks, where the audio was less than satisfactory and I had to use headphones just to hear it clear enough to understand. I just use a pair of $1.99 Maganavox headphones I got at Marcs (kinda a cross between a Rite Aid and a Big Lots) with a 20 foot extension cord from Radio Shack. Granted, most cheap headphones are for shit, but I've really been impressed by the Magnavox ones and have stuck with them. They've lasted years now (at least my indoor ones, the ones I use with my portable get beat up after a year or so), when every pair of expensive Sony brand ones I've ever had lasted maybe a day or two past the 90 day warranty.

Why just speakers _or_ headphones? Why not both at the same time? That's the only way to mix! ;) .. but for general listening, I usually prefer speakers, as I am a fan of deep and punchy bass. You just can't get those vibrations with a pair of headphones. However, a decent pair can make up for the lack somewhat with enhanced clarity, but.. personally I use Technics DJ1200s for my main pair of phones; they don't have the clearest upper range but they make up for it in comfort and flexibility. I also just picked up a set of 5.1 headphones made by Gainward that work pretty well for PC games.

Originally posted by it290@Aug 18, 2004 @ 04:35 PM

You just can't get those vibrations with a pair of headphones.

:smash hahaha... I'm sorry, but when I read that I got an image in my head of some guy attempting to "improve" his headphones by strapping a pair of subwoofers to them. In this case, they looked like two of my subwoofers, probably because it was the easiest thing for me to visualize.

Ahem, anyway, I usually use speakers. Headphones can be good, they're cheaper for the quality, but they isolate you. So you have to decide if you want to be isolated from nearly all outside sound. Depends on what I'm doing I guess. I can't hear even loud things like people yelling at me or the phone ringing.

i dont know... my speakers isolate me too. I don't hear my phone, shit i can't hear the people that are over trying to scream in my ear. they get so frustrated, i tell em' that i died for a few minutes, cause the bass made my heart skip so thats why i dont respond.

My phone is fairly loud, well I have it set that way so it wakes me up. I don't BLAST my speakers either, I do value my hearing. Oh well, I'm crazy like that.

Back