SMS Packaging

I don't have access to SMS packaging. From what I understand it is almost identical to Genesis/MD. Can someone help me?

If you have and SMS cart box, could you compare it to the genesis boxes. I would like to compare the SEGA brand games in the original packaging.

1. Do they have an outer sleeve for a cover insert (rather than the cover art printed on to the plastic)?

2. Where the cart is held in place, Genesis game boxes have "pinchers" above and below the cart to hold it in place because the cart is not exactly cube. Is this also the case for the SMS? The cart appears to be perfectly square, maybe the pinchers are not necessary.

3. Is the sega logo or other identifying mark molded into the interior plastic of the case?

Please help. Thanks.

1. Yes, there's a sleeve with paper art inside, exactly the same as gen/md cases.

2. Yes, the pinchers are there (on the top and bottom, or l/r of the cart, as the cart goes in at a 90 degree angle). They don't hold the cart very much though.

3. Yes, right next to where the cart goes.

thanks for the fast reply.

Would you say that the pinchers are just the same as genesis? The carts are significantly different in shape (the Gen cart slopes at the sides while the SMS carts appear perfectly square.)

The pinchers are very very similar (comparing US SMS and US Genesis boxes), although not entirely identical. You can fit an SMS cart into a Genesis box, and it's a rather snug fit. The SMS carts are a bit wider, so putting a Genesis cart in an SMS box, the pinchers won't hold it and it'll just fall out. Same with putting a Japanese MD cart into a US SMS box. The pinchers on a JPN MD box are a bit smaller as well -- they look a bit different, but Gen/MD carts will fit into each other's box just fine.

Back