Segaxtreme will soon be closing [Updated]

$20 transaction id:9H522712W09046640 via paypal. Just a lurker but I like these forums - I don't want it disappearing off my bookmark toolbar :(. Also I have a hosting account with 3GB space and 30GB bandwidth that basically all goes unused if you need any help there. Long Live SX

Glad to hear. Once I find a job, I might be able to send over some money for future use. These days I do most of my posting over on NX. I usually only lurk here. When I say that NX/SX may close I was real worried. This site has been responsible for me getting back into classics. Before I joined, I only had a PS2 as I sold my old stuff to pay for college. That included many gems like complete copies of PS 1-4 and DW 1-4.

Ok, we seemingly have a bunch of people with the ability to host files - would that work for media if we spread it across several servers?

Though I still believe that Thrash was right about reinventing the wheel - but I'm not certain - are the media we have spread over different websites or can you find a similar collection elsewhere?

I guess with NX being a sister/partner site, is SX going through a transformation? I'm guessing there'll be a merger of some sort? Or are we keeping the forums as a status quo?

I'm thinking at this current juncture maybe it's time for SX to reinvent itself slightly? Or at least rethink the very rigid heirarchy of the boards to get people talking agian?

MTXBlau said:
I'm thinking at this current juncture maybe it's time for SX to reinvent itself slightly? Or at least rethink the very rigid heirarchy of the boards to get people talking agian?

I like this idea, while this site IS SEGAXtreme, I think there needs to be more emphasis on newer consoles and computer games.... I don't know... (and Happy Birthday MTXBlau!)

Zziggy00 said:
I like this idea, while this site IS SEGAXtreme, I think there needs to be more emphasis on newer consoles and computer games.... I don't know... (and Happy Birthday MTXBlau!)

Sure it's needed to post about newer consoles and newer games mainly on sega. I tried to do it lately but each time there is rarely answer. Many times I'm wondering if I have to put the topic in news or in the dedicated section like these posts :

http://forums.segaxtreme.net/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=15131

http://forums.segaxtreme.net/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=15122

http://forums.segaxtreme.net/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=15132

Also all news about section updates has no success and I'd say the same for other news like Karous for DC.

I'd say we need more active members/mods to animate the forums and the sections.

What about posting some of the media files to Youtube?

As for soundtracks, you could always do a weekly or monthly rotation.

One week it's a Phantasy Star 1 soundtrack. Next week it's Toe Jam and Earl 3 soundtrack.

wow! I look at the board daily and i missed this topic till now. I guess i should read the news section when i come on here instead of just scanning over the general and other sections. I'll freely admit when i have any questions about almost anything i come here with them. a few times i've had computer issues and everyone on this site is more than glad to help and give good information. that and everyone is friendly. Besides in the past when there were a few assholes on the board everyone is always friendly. I know i dont post that often anymore because: 1. I've given up drinking for the most part(i drink very rarely) so i'm never making random drunk post on here. 2. I have no actual topics that relate to sega to talk about(hence why i read the general section).Basically to increase posts everyone should just accept that sega really isn't that big of a topic and start posting about other topics. I can also say i dont think i've every really looked at anything on this site other than the boards. I think many years ago i might have downloaded some images off this site that's about it.(i think it was here but that was a long time ago i forget if this site ever actually hosted game images or not if so then i probably did)well what ever as long as the boards stay up that's good maybe i'll start making random topic posts in the general section again.

Hmmm... I still say the forums should be merged as VGxtreme dot whatever, and then have SX and NX be a part of that (with something set up to set a default skin based on which site the board was being accessed from, etc.). Media files should go to a freebie host deal like the ones posted in the BitTorrent / Direct Download forum.

The extra money sent in will be used for hosting, I'm sure. Based on the bandwith numbers quoted previously, hosting should only run $15 a month. (Not on a dedicated server, but using a reseller account. Dibz, PM me if you want to know where I'm renting my hosting from right now, though I'm sure you already have it taken care of.)

I have about 10Mb of free web space so I could probably host some of the text based sections. A lot of people have come forward offering web space so I can't see why the entire site can't stay. All you would need to do is allow various people to host and maintain different sections. I don't think we need to redisign or anything like that.

Thanks! except it's not my birthday. I got an email to that effect as well. Go figure. :-D

Zziggy00 said:

Technically, we don't need a redesign, but the site itself looks extremely dated. Not that it's anyone's fault, but there's nothing wrong with changing the style every... oh... seven years or so. :)

Dibz, can we get an update as to what the status is? I imagine the license is purchased and we're no longer illegal - what are the plans for the hosting? And what can we do?

Everything except the music files are already on a new server, running the new license of vB already. At the moment we just need to figure out the media files. Since everyone offered hosting, I suggest we set up some mirrors for the music files only. That way if there is ever an issue, the entire ship won't go down. Other then that, we're gold. I'm moving Tendoweb still, that hasn't been completed yet.

im totally new when it comes to joining the site, but ive been over here several times. i have been looking for MANY years where i can find good threads or comprehensive foot notes to making Sega emulation work. if helpful and nestalgic sites like this close, then ide never get all the Saturn Emu/Dreamcast emu help ive been looking for. I hope to see a miracle happen. But to those who kept this site going this long..... Thank You.

and i hope one day i can meet someone online who could actually help me with all the emu problems ive always had :( im Gamez1985@yahoo.com. And i want to personally thank everyone here for adding to the rememberance and appreciation we all have for Sega. Thank you my friends, thank you.

My free ride over at 1&1 finally ran out so I've upgraded to the $5 a month plan and now have an obscene (for my humble site anyway) amount of monthly transfer (1000 GB). I don't mind providing hosting for whatever needs it as long as I don't have to be the one to maintain it.

Wow- it's been a while. i just read through the 8 pages of replies and remembered the time when I had nothing to do but visit these forums. The boards on here were the reason I had internet for a short while here. Thanks guys for keeping this place around and running. As soon as I get paid again I'll contribute some cash too.

Alright, we pretty much just need hosting for media files at this point (mirrors). Can everyone that is willing to provide hosting of media-type files, primarily music -- some others such as wallpapers, send me a PM with all needed information? I will pretty much just need FTP info as well as the access url for any uploaded files. The more mirrors the better.

Note: The sooner the better, this server goes off-line at the end of the month.

Just a question does all media files have to be moved (including emus,manuals)? or it concerns only soundtracks ? I can start to move some of the soundtracks to my ISP account. I can give 6Go. I didn't request yet for a second account of 10Go (depends if it's really needed).

Right now just soundtracks really. Everything else is (emus, manuals, etc) is hosted on the main site still.

dibz said:
Right now just soundtracks really. Everything else is (emus, manuals, etc) is hosted on the main site still.

Ok :) I'm getting NX tracks, SX tracks look to be removed already.

Back