Segaxtreme will soon be closing [Updated]

Heh, elaborating a bit more then...

I'm actually a sysadmin at a major shared webhost, and by far phpBB causes me the most headaches during the day. You can probably think of a few random things poor scripting could cause behind the scenes, and then match them to that script without having a second thought.

Regardless, it's really a discussion for another thread. ;)

So far we have $120* (about) left to go in donations.

* This is only counting donations that have been sent, not pledged donations.

Just a quick update. Seems kornnbread just sent in another donation.

Only $75 left to go!

I just noticed this was linked from over at Racketboy's website. Haven't been around here in some time... spend most of it over at racket's and that's about all the forum lurking I do.

I've got the 75 dollars if you guys are going to keep the forums available. Just let me know if I should use the standard paypal donation link or if I'm sending it elsewhere.

If in the future any further stuff wants to be done at a reasonable cost I am more then willing to fork over cash. I personally love this site to death, been a member for years and it is what got me into the whole forum community in the first place. Meet great people and formed what I'd consider to be fit/normal/good relationships with lots of people here.

Just let me know what I can do.

Nooooooo, even though I have not posted on these boards much over the years this site is usually one of the first I go to everyday for any news that is Sega. Hopefully something can be done to keep it going. As for donations I might be up for a little if that is what it takes. Keep SegaXtreme Alive!!!

MTXBlau said:
I will certainly contribute some amount of money - that's a start, since there's clearly a desire for SX to stick around. Most importantly, it's not just a community, but a resource. JMT is right - if SX disappears, a huge chunk of knowledge regarding the Sega Saturn, DC, CD, 32X disappears as well.

Let me sum up, if I may - a more lightweight forum theme, possibly a lighter-weight overall site redesign? (How much bandwidth does the text only documentation carry?) Perhaps merge many of the boards into several bigger ones?

It goes without saying that there are quite a few very intelligent people who still visit this site. Further, there isn't spam and there aren't idiots. On the intertubes, that's rare, am I not correct? We have to take care of what we can.

That's an excellent suggestion! We should literally strip "useless" clutter that can probably cut down the costs on running this site.

It's sad to see SX go. I too have been a lurker here for a while. There is such a wealth of knowledge here and it would be really sad to see it all go. I hope that somone can step up and take it over. What are the costs per month to run SX anyway?

I'm glad to see people putting up money to keep this site, or at least the forums, alive. I have been a lurker here for a few years now and this site has been a wealth of knowledge to me. I would hate to see it go and I am glad that other members are doing something about it to keep it alive. If I had PayPal I too would donate some money, unfortunate;y though I don't.

Keep SX alive!

The last couple donations put us just over what we needed. I was able to buy the needed license this morning, I'll be working on moving the forums and some other content later today.

SAG26 said:
If I had PayPal I too would donate some money, unfortunate;y though I don't.

You don't need PayPal to make a donation, just a creditcard (mastercard or visa) As I stated a few post earlier, I don't have a PayPal account (and don't plan on getting one ;) )

dibz said:
The last couple donations put us just over what we needed. I was able to buy the needed license this morning, I'll be working on moving the forums and some other content later today.

That's some great news :rock:

well as you guys got your money you needed I won't be sending over that 75 now, but I'm sending 35 right now through paypal for future use.

Even though it's already over the $160, I sent some as well.

Here's hoping we can move on with a plan and goal? Perhaps a new thread? Pooling of resources perhaps?

That sounds like a good idea to me. As for the extra donations, those are greatly appreciated -- they will be kept in the fund for future use when needed, which they probably will be at some point.

Would it be worth it to move the site to just a forum? All the tech docs and such can be attached to forum posts and those posts stickied in the appropriate forums?

I still come around every now and again, but I rarely play any sega anymore, so lost a lot of interest. Don't let all the knowledge go to waste :(

It's not going to waste -- everything you mentioned PJammz is staying online.

It's nice to see us all chipping in as a community. Does anyone else find it amazing that when things got rough around $200 was contributied in 2 days? I think it's great, long live SX, long live the community... in some way, shape, or form!

Back