Sega Saturn Model/Board Revision FAQ?

partially taken from another post i wrote:

i have been kicking around the idea of doing an FAQ/database reguarding saturn models and revisions...i haven't yet because i don't have access to enough money to buy a saturn from each region and each month of production, nor do i have a camera to take good pics of this....though now i figure perhaps it's a lot more doable, considering the amount of support on this forum.

if this thread gets any replies expressing interest in the project, be it for usefulness, curiosity, or those willing to help fill the gaps in my information, then i'll get started on the criteria for the photos and to start on the organization of the FAQ.

i feel this will help newbies who are interested in modifying or collecting saturn systems. This FAQ could include pictures of jumper locations and common points on each board, show differences between systems, and help define what is model and revision each system is to help prevent people from buying the wrong saturn accidently.

In order to get this project started, i'd need a few things:

1. Support/interest. i think this will be the hardest thing to get, since i figure most people who already own a saturn that's modified will not care about revisions an such.

2. People who own saturns and decent digital cameras who can also take pretty good photos. Would be nice if these guys were also a little techy and own a Multi-Meter.

3. Information on the entire production life of the saturn in each region.

4. at least 2 of every month/year combination of every saturn ever made.

5. Japanese and korean readers to help decipher the stickers on import systems

I say we need at least 2 of every saturn to help in the verification process....this will help eliminate the rumors about Round Button April 1996 and 21 Pin March 1996 saturns. I figure 5 of the same model and revision would constitute a complete Verification.

detailed pictures of every saturn will help system modifiers find the places they need to solder to.

anyone interested? i've got several saturns in my possession right now to help start this thing, and the post below this one is the beginings of the FAQ. if anyone expressed interest, i'll keep it going and try to get pictures

/<

i have owned or modified at least 14 different saturns, and i'm currently in posession of 8 of right now. this list is by no means the final word, but it should help out newbies as a general guide.

EDIT: This guide has not taken into account the late breaking info regarding modding 21 pin mod boards to fit 20 pin systems!!

"What saturn have i got, and can it be modified for backups?" list.

Date is found on the bottom of the saturn

R = Round Power/Reset Buttons

O = Oval Power/Reset Buttons

#/# = Pins on ribbon cable/legs on cd-rom board numbers

all assume a US saturn since i do not have PAL or Japanese saturns to look at.

Model 1.0

Date: The Begining - March 1996

Specs: O 20/??

Prognosis: Unmodabable at this time

Notes: I have seen at least 2 seperate models of saturns from this era...one with a seperate controller board located near the top of the system, so it didn't have the plastic to show the LEDs through. the other is more common

Model 1.1

Date: March 1996

Specs: O 20/?? (See Notes)

Prognosis: Unmodable at this time

Notes: I have personally had 1 March 1996 system and confirmed it to be a 20 pin unit. there are varying reports all over the net, including in the most detailed FAQ i could find, of some of the systems made at this date to be Round button 21/32 systems. I doubt the credibility of these reports due to my findings regarding the April 1996 units. Based on those findings, i label the March 1996 unmodifiable until proven otherwise, and completely dismiss the claims of a Round button March 1996 system.

Model 2.0

Date: April 1996

Specs: O 21/64 (See notes)

Prognosis: Modable

Notes: This is probably one of the rarest US saturns. I have owned 3 of these babies and all 3 have worked with my older 21 pin modboard. this system is the only one that is 21 pin and still has the Disc Access light and the oval buttons. You can replace the 64 leg CD-Rom unit with a 32 leg unit. Because of the rumors regarding a March 1996 unit with round buttons, i will not dismiss the possibility of a round button April 1996....i figure it's very possible, but just highly unlikely. Modboard position should be facing outside of the saturn to make this work.

Model 3.0

Date: May 1996 - July 1996

Specs: R 21/64

Prognosis: Modable

Notes: Major board revision here...Round buttons, disc access light removed, power supply changed slightly, mainboard and controller board combined into 1 pcb. 21 pin, 64 leg system. can swap out drive for a 32 leg. Mainboards on these tend to have to have the Mod board face to the outside of the case to make the mods work.

Model 3.1

Date: August 1996 - December 1996

Specs: R 21/32

Prognosis: Easily Modable

Notes: pretty much the same as the above, but with 32 leg cd-rom drive units. As with other major model changes, there is a possibility that some August 1996 systems may still use 32 leg CD-Rom drives, and that some December 1996 systems use Sanyo drives. modboard should face towards the power supply.

Model 4.0

Date: January 1997 and later

Specs: R 21/0 ????

Prognosis: Mod possible but hard, no documentation

Notes: only have seen one of these, and it happened to be the one with eh PC trap and the Sanyo CD-Rom drive. the Sanyo drive saturns are commonly considered unmodable due to just one person's sucess with it. since i have only seen 1 saturn with the sanyo drive, and since i have not seen any other January 1997 systems, i will go with the assumption that this is what they all are like. Sytems are probably swapable with a 64 or 32 leg cd-rom drive, but i haven't tried it yet to confirm.

Easiest Mod Analysis:

The best saturn to own for mod capabilities is the August 1996 - December 1996 era....for 5 months this was the system sega produced, so it's pretty common. it contains the "easy" 32 leg cd-rom drive and all the pix showing the install of a mod board show the proper installation for a system during this time period.

This is a cool idea. I have a suggestion for it. If more data was collected such as serial numbers and different model numbers from the back, there would probably eventually be enough information to tell everything about the innards of a system without ever having to open it. Then you would easily be able to tell by looking at a system before purchase if it is the type you are looking for.

I'm thinking chip/ribbon pin count, power supply type, cd board, serial number, model (such as MK80000) the roman numeral in the lower right portion of the back label and anything else that might be relevant. Throw it all together and look for consistancies. (spreadsheet or database style)

A completed chart would be especially useful to noob's like me. :)

Originally posted by BJammzz@Aug 27, 2003 @ 03:04 AM

this is sweet....we just need sum of the non-us ppl helping us

actually, i need anyone and everyone to help out....i'm doing some mod work on some saturns tonight, so i can double check my info with the models i have, and also test the Sanyo drive swapped with the 32 Leg drive in the January 1997, but i need info like:

what month/year was the first/last (insert region here) saturns *MANUFACTURED* in?

how can you tell the month/year on (insert non-us region here) saturns?

who among you all has the oddball saturns?? WHo can prvove it with up close and personal pictures?? (Sanyo drive, V-saturn, Derby black saturn, derby blue saturn, HiSaturn, HiSaturn Navi, Samsung Saturn)

who knows...maybe we can start a saturn registry with this lol

anyway, those who wish to contribute, email me. i'll need pix of the following:

Outer Top/Front view (showing buttons/labels, cd-lid and front of case)

Outer rear closeup view (showing connections and stickers, battery cover removed)

Outer Bottom Closeup View (*CLEARLY* showing sticker text. must be readable)

Inside Top Case closeup view (CLEARLY show the date markers on the inner case to help remove non-virgin saturns)

Inside Bottom Case closeup view (CLEARLY show the date markers on the inner case to help remove non-virgin saturns)

Closeup CD-Rom Unit picture (show 32/64 IC and the revision/part number on the drive)

Closeup Power Supply (Focus on the white connections where the pins come in as well as the revision/part number. 2nd pic showing full Power supply appreciated)

Closeup Mainboard Part/revision number

closeup Controller port board (if seperate)

Closeup Mainboard Jumper locations with common points shown

Closeup Mainboard Ribbon cable Pin slot (take from directly overhead, controller ports facing you....bottom case should be partially visible in the pic)

closeup mainboard 50/60hz mod solder point

closeup mainboard +5v and +0v pins

closeup mainboard oddities (like the occasional saturn with a wire already soldered on after the fact, even though you know your saturn is a virgin)

i think this covers all the major pictures i'd like to get...i know its a lot, but i feel the more detailed, the better the FAQ will be in the end.

those who can't take pix of their mainboard can help by verifying as much of the info as possible...

At the moment i am looking at a saturn who's case states the system was made in June 1996, but i can not 100% count that as fact since i swapped shells and drives a couple of times with the systems i have.

EDIT: I have confirmed that my June 1996 case is a hybird...the upper case is marked July 1996, the bottom June 1996. The system board has no date, but i don't think it matters too much since both the june and the july 1996 systems came with a 64 leg cd-rom drive. Either way, i'm not counting this system towards the database.

the mainboard revision text says as follows:

Code:
171-7207A   PC BD SATURN MAIN' VA6 SG

MADE IN CHINA

837-12459

IC BD SATURN MAIN VA6 JPN SG  ©SEGA 1996

There are only 4 pins from the mainboard to the power supply. The mainboard has an integrated controller port and a single green LED. System currently has a 32 leg cd-rom drive and is wired for import modification.

now comparing to an October 1996 system:

Code:
171-7208C   PC BD SATURN MAIN VA7 SG

MADE IN KOREA

837-12643

IC BD SATURN MAIN VA7 USA SD  

©SEGA 1996

HYUNDAI

Jumpers located on bottom of mainboard, approx 1.5 to 2 inches back from 1st controller port. turn board upside down, controller port pointing to you, then rotate board 90 degrees to the left (controller port to your right). Look at the controller port that is "on top" and scan your eyes left about 2 inches.

Jumper arrangement:

06 -C C- 07

08 -C C- 09

10 -C C- 11

12 -C C- 13

i'll put more up later

/<

Originally posted by NR Pickle@Aug 27, 2003 @ 03:56 AM

This is a cool idea. I have a suggestion for it. If more data was collected such as serial numbers and different model numbers from the back, there would probably eventually be enough information to tell everything about the innards of a system without ever having to open it. Then you would easily be able to tell by looking at a system before purchase if it is the type you are looking for.

I'm thinking chip/ribbon pin count, power supply type, cd board, serial number, model (such as MK80000) the roman numeral in the lower right portion of the back label and anything else that might be relevant. Throw it all together and look for consistancies. (spreadsheet or database style)

A completed chart would be especially useful to noob's like me. :)

Actually, your suggestion was a small part of what i had in mind...part of the problem is with Import saturns since from what i hear, there is not month/year markings.

also, we need *VIRGIN* or 100% verified systems....as in, systems that have not been opened for any reason unless you know for a fact that no one has swapped the insides of your system and put it in another case. upon closer inspection, i truly believe i swapped the June 1996 case with a different board, but i know for a fact that the october 1996 case has the original board in it.

/<

Hmm, mine is a June 96 and sounds different from yours. I'm too much of a newb to understand everything you said but I can tell differences. I'd send pics right now but my camera sucks and only works with the windows open when the sun is up. ($30 web cam)

Also I don't know exactly what all the pics you're asking for are. If I send an above shot can you circle all the stuff on it you're asking for close ups of? If it requires anything more than taking the main lid off the top of the system it's out of my league anyway.

well, I have a eary PAL Saturn here (MK80200-50 I believe) and I'll be getting 2 white and a grey Saturn from Japan by mail in a couple of weeks... if you need my assistance say so.

SO!

especially if you can take pix of the systems as requested above....keep in mind that you have to take the systems completely apart to get all the information.

thanx for the offer, AntiPasta!

by the way, if anyone has spare saturn parts (shells, power supplies, main boards), please let me know!

alright I was gonna open my Saturn up anyway to get a replacement fuse for my PSU! (I shorted it using a wire now)

I just took a buncha pics of the system... where should I send 'em?

by the way, if you're after Japanese systems, I know a source of junk Saturns for 500 yen apiece + shipping.

GOt the first set of pix....i'm going to be busy the next couple of days trying to mod the 8 systems i have here and still find a GOOD camera to take pics of these systems with.

for the record, a pic set of each actual revision of the saturn will go up on my website, but for now the pix are only to help me (and anyone who chooses to assist me) verify that a system is indeed of a certain revision or model.

/<

Originally posted by A Murder of Crows@Aug 27, 2003 @ 03:27 AM

...by the way, if anyone has spare saturn parts (shells, power supplies, main boards), please let me know!

I've got an extra CD drive pulled from a MK-80000A. It has a 21-pin ribbon/ 32 legs.

Okay here's some details on my model 1 australian pal saturn...

Mainboard text:

171-7131A

PC BD SATURN MAIN VA PAL SD

837-12135

IC BD SATURN MAIN VA

SEGA 1995

MADE IN JAPAN

CDROM pins: 21 pin(not sure of how to to check if its 64 pin)

Back of case text:

Model No. :MK-80200-03

Serial No. :AD63001266

Other details:

*5 pin power supply

*Has drive access led

as for jumper arrangement i don't really see anything similar to those numbers on my board,there's a rectangular box a couple of inches back under the mainboard near the first controller port that has some info on it don't know if thats what you're talking about?

I'll probably scan some photos later as well..

Yes and I just checked it again for you.

21 pins on the cable,21 pins on the cdrom pcb and 21 pins on the mainboard.21 is marked on the final point of the cdrom board as well so my counting skills or eyes aren't buggered :)

hmm...very very strange...can you check the sticker on the bottom of the system and find out the manufacture month and year? what's throwing me off is the year on the mainboard.

/<

Australian Saturns (Euro ones too I guess) don't have a manufacture date on the sticker on the bottom.

alright, well that would make the saturn he has the same as an April 1996 US saturn.

seems i've run into a snag...both JPN and PAL saturns have no way on the outside to tell the manufacture date...unless it's hidden in the serial number or something similar.

All PAL saturns i've seen have the date "written" on the top case (inside), they have three indicators, one for month, another for year of prodution and a last one that indicates if it is USA, JAP or MULTI.

Edit: BTW, a friend of mine owns a _very_ strange saturn (PAL), it was manufactured on 09/97, but it doesn't have a sanyo cdboard.. instead it has a cdboard from hitachi, according to what he told me, it is pretty strange as it seems to spin the cds much faster than the regular 2x :huh

I'll see if I can get some pics.

Back