S-Video Cable

Would it be possible to make one? After a quick search, nothing.

Obviously one was never made...

Edit: Probably should have put this in the Genesis forum. Ah well.

Apparently, you can mod the genesis 1 and 2 to work with s-video, as it is supposed to be the same encoder chip that is used on the neo geo, and genesis 3 has a chip that has s-video output, but that too also has to be modded (probably a lot less work than the 1st two genesis systems though). Gamesx.com has the tutorial for the genesis 3 mod I believe.

As far as just using a cable to support s-video, it can't be done without modification to the genesis.

If you mod your Genesis for S-Video, the Sega CD will have it too (and the Power Base Converter as well). I don't think anyone has figured out how to get S-Video out of the 32X yet, though.

Originally posted by it290@Wed, 2005-06-29 @ 10:38 PM

I don't think anyone has figured out how to get S-Video out of the 32X yet, though.

Shouldn't be that hard to rig up an adapter. I'm pretty sure the 32X outputs RGB on it's video connector like the Genesis so you could handle it as an external converter rather than digging around in the existing video encoder for an S-Video output. Come to think of it, my IV-24 for my A4000 has a board that will convert the native Amiga video modes to S-Video (doesn't work when the scandoubler is on), I wonder if I could rig it up to work with the RGB output of my Genesis/32X.

Originally posted by Mask of Destiny@Wed, 2005-06-29 @ 11:35 PM

Shouldn't be that hard to rig up an adapter. I'm pretty sure the 32X outputs RGB on it's video connector like the Genesis so you could handle it as an external converter rather than digging around in the existing video encoder for an S-Video output. Come to think of it, my IV-24 for my A4000 has a board that will convert the native Amiga video modes to S-Video (doesn't work when the scandoubler is on), I wonder if I could rig it up to work with the RGB output of my Genesis/32X.

[post=135998]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, I am not sure about USA but here in Europe one can do anything better than simply go for RGB cable.

RGB simply blows anything out of the water. Just compare Mega Drive on antenna, then composite and finally go for RGB...

It is simply like an arcade experience - pixel perfect clean bright colourfull display. 101 percent!

TVs in the US don't have RGB inputs unfortunately (with the exception of some HDTVs that have VGA inputs, but I doubt such a TV could handle Genesis timings over that input). I suppose an RGB -> YCrCb encoder shouldn't be that hard (since the colorspace conversion formula isn't that complicated), but usually only more expensive TVs are blessed with such an interface.

I suppose I could hook it up to my Amiga monitor, but that's rather small and S-Video doesn't look THAT bad with a good encoder.

Using the RGB out and Sync of the Genny RGB you can make a Component (YCrCb) svideo and a RGB connection using this guys circuit board.

Right Here!

His box only has the Svid out on it, but the circuit is set up to have the others also...

To bad the Genesis 1 and 2 don't have a Svideo out natively... grrrr (the video encoder chip doesn't have it, but the Genny3 does have it on chip, just its not hooked up to the vid out. You have to do some soldering for it.)

If you don't know how to read those schematics or anything... well I've been kinda lookin' for a project to do, I can build one, test it and if it works I can sell it to ya! heh, I'm gonna build one anyways just for fun.

Back