Question about save files on Gamer's Cartridge

When you transfer the game save files onto the Gamer's Cartridge, can you insert the SD card into your computer and have an emulator use the files? So if you took the retail disc out of the Saturn and had it load on your computer's emulator, are the save files correctly formatted for use?

Gamer's Cartridge use its own format for handling save files. It's basically an "one save per file" ( = not compatible with Yabause) and whole save contents structure + extra infos in the header of the file ( = not compatible with SSF).
Main reason of this format is that is makes possible to manually backup a particular save data just by copying a file, and also because if allows recovery of deleted saves : when deleting (or overwriting) a save, it is just flagged as no longer existing, but file itself is kept for a little while.

Format is open source (*) so that -if someone wants it enough, - emulator developers shall be able to add support in the future.

On cartridge side, it is possible to import from any known save data format, and it is also possible to dump save data too. Both features however requires user input on each time, so may not fit your needs.
And the save data dump feature currently only supports output to SSF format, but I shall add support for Yabause format until next release of Pseudo Saturn Kai :)

(*) Available in Pseudo Saturn Kai archive -> SatCom_src_<YYYYMMDD>.7z -> SatCom_src_<YYYYMMDD> -> pseudosat_kai -> vmem -> dev_cart.h -> vmem_bup_header_t structure.

Okay. I'm just looking at my options for having backwards compatibility on a new console I'm working on and the possibility of using previous save files. Thanks.

Back