Photo CD Operating System

From what I've discerned from the gazillion of threads on the Saturn's copy protection, is that without authenticating the CD the Saturn won't read outside of the first 32k of a disc. Well I recently bought a Photo CD OS disc for the Saturn, and even though I dont have any photo CDs to test it with, it's clearly able to read data CDs without security ring. It also says 'checking disc' at the beginning. How is this accomplished?

Only the boot disc (ie. the Photo CD OS disc) needs to be authenticated. If the app is coded so it doesn't return to the CD player when the lid is opened, there shouldn't be any problems (the developer boot CD should work in a similar way). AFAIK the CD subsystem remains in the unlocked state until it is reset or a revalidation is requested.

By the way, quite a coincidence, I received the Photo CD disc in the mail today.

I'd assume it would work just like any boot disc, with the data on the cd telling the saturn not to perform the protection check on the next inserted cd (among other things)

---Ammut

The photo cd software is loaded in the memory , so you can't use it as a booty disk sadly. Btw the photocd disks from kodak don't have any security ring (because they weren't designed for Saturn from the start) so thats why it reads 'every' disc.

Back