People still believe Team Cassini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Runik@Sun, 2005-10-16 @ 08:46 PM

Yeah, Saturnin rocks :cool:

[post=140756]Quoted post[/post]​

If it managed to run at all then I would agree. So far the only emulator to win that title on my system is Cassini.

Originally posted by Quick Man@Sun, 2005-10-16 @ 11:25 PM

If it managed to run at all then I would agree. So far the only emulator to win that title on my system is Cassini.

[post=140757]Quoted post[/post]​

Cassini talking isn't welcome around here ... you should try Girigiri saturn instead ;)

If you can't run anything else your computer has a problem, because Saturnin runs well on a bunch of computers, same thing for Satourne, Yabause, SSF and others ...

Originally posted by Runik+Mon, 2005-10-17 @ 08:04 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Runik @ Mon, 2005-10-17 @ 08:04 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Cassini talking isn't welcome around here ... you should try Girigiri saturn instead ;)

[/b]

I like emulators that work. Cassini works; GiriGiri Saturn (better known as GiriGiriGav) does not. I'll talk about Cassini for as long as I have to use it because nobody else can be bothered to write code which works. (I do not define "works" as "generates a GPF error when I attempt to start emulation" (Satourne) or "runs without activity for a few seconds before generating a GPF error or quitting silently" (Saturnin), and I don't like it when developers expect you to have the latest advances in processor technology (SSF).)

<!--QuoteBegin-Runik
@Mon, 2005-10-17 @ 08:04 AM

If you can't run anything else your computer has a problem, because Saturnin runs well on a bunch of computers, same thing for Satourne, Yabause, SSF and others ...

[post=140768]Quoted post[/post]​

[/quote]

Just because it runs on "a bunch of computers" does not mean it works. A working emulator works on 100% of systems; currently only Cassini fills that checksum - it even ran on my super-old VIA miniature computer (albeit at about five seconds a frame).

Yabause works (congratulations for that) but the emulation is inferior to that of Cassini.

Originally posted by Quick Man@Mon, 2005-10-17 @ 08:19 AM

I like emulators that work. Cassini works; GiriGiri Saturn (better known as GiriGiriGav) does not. I'll talk about Cassini for as long as I have to use it because nobody else can be bothered to write code which works. Yabause works (congratulations for that) but the emulation is inferior to that of Cassini.

Cassini is a hack of Girigiri. There is no new code, just stolen code. So the fact that Cassini works and GiriGiri is weird :p. With all that aside, on my computer I find that Yabause and Saturnin work the best. Yabause has a few gfx problems but runs games better. T

eam Cassini isnt writing new code, they may steal more code. The people working on Yabuase are making a lot of progress so your claim that other people arent bothered to write code that works is wrong. Try making an emulator from scratch. Yabause seems to be the next big thing in Saturn emulation. I have followed its progress from the start and I like what I see.

I have used cassini in the past but stopped for 2 reasons. It is stolen code, not just girigiri but other peoples work they are taking credit for. The second reason is that it does less than yabause and saturnin combined. If you really want an emulator to work right now dont bother and buy a saturn.

End rant

Quick Man: If yabause CVS gives you trouble, file a decent bug report and it might actually get fixed. Developers can't fix a bug that they don't know about or can't reproduce. In any case, don't expect anyone here to help with Cassini, because there's generally too much respect for actual emulator authors in these parts.

Originally posted by Amon+Mon, 2005-10-17 @ 04:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Amon @ Mon, 2005-10-17 @ 04:56 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>:blah

[/b]

Nothing in Cassini is stolen. All code used has been granted permission for use in Cassini. Sega do not care what people do with GiriGiri so long as nobody makes a monetary profit from their work.

It helps if you read their forum occasionally rather than just listening to hype.

<!--QuoteBegin-Amon
@Mon, 2005-10-17 @ 04:56 PM

If you really want an emulator to work right now dont bother and buy a saturn.

[/quote]

I have a Saturn, but it's damned inconvenient to have to burn a new CD-R (one-use, then coaster - CD-Rs are too expensive, cheap as they are for me at 50 pence a shot) and I don't know if twiddling the laser to read CD-RWs will affect the lifespan of the console.

Originally posted by Quick Man@Mon, 2005-10-17 @ 10:24 AM

Nothing in Cassini is stolen. All code used has been granted permission for use in Cassini. Sega do not care what people do with GiriGiri so long as nobody makes a monetary profit from their work.

It helps if you read their forum occasionally rather than just listening to hype.

I have a Saturn, but it's damned inconvenient to have to burn a new CD-R (one-use, then coaster - CD-Rs are too expensive, cheap as they are for me at 50 pence a shot) and I don't know if twiddling the laser to read CD-RWs will affect the lifespan of the console.

[post=140785]Quoted post[/post]​

Guess what you are wrong. Cassini uses a cheat program created by Spunky. Spunky did not give permission to Cassini to use his code. There for it is stolen. http://www.emutalk.net/saturn-shack/28880-...rapssini-1.html.

Originally posted by Quick Man@Mon, 2005-10-17 @ 12:24 PM

[post=140785]Quoted post[/post]​

If that's the case, then I'm sure you can link to a scan of a statement from Sega's legal department, on company letterhead? After the crap they pulled initially, showing severe ignorance of copyright law and plain good sense, I won't settle for anything less as proof (and frankly, they shouldn't either, so I don't think this is too much to ask).

Originally posted by ExCyber@Mon, 2005-10-17 @ 12:24 PM

If that's the case, then I'm sure you can link to a scan of a statement from Sega's legal department, on company letterhead? After the crap they pulled initially, I won't settle for anything less as proof (and frankly, they shouldn't either, so I don't think this is too much to ask).

[post=140793]Quoted post[/post]​

Heres a link to talk about how code developed by spunky was used in cassini without his permission, and later team Cassini was taking credit for it. Read: Stolen!

http://www.emutalk.net/saturn-shack/28880-...rapssini-1.html

On a complete unrelated note (sort of) ... why do I appear as the topic starter here in the dev section ? :huh:

As for this "program", I can't believe it's surfacing again ... what's the current version ? 34 ? 157 ?

Cassini was, and is still :bs

Because as we all know, EmuTalk is a totally unbiased and objective source of information.

Keith has held a grudge against Cassini since its inception, to the point of sparking off floods of idiots on the Cassini forums and uploading viruses disguised as new releases of Cassini along with miscellaneous attacks on Team Cassini.

Second, Snail has already replied to these accusations numerous times if you bothered to register on their forums and read their point of view. Please find attached the content of "email1.txt", Snail's email to Sega regarding the use of GiriGiri.

Third, this excerpt from the changelog for Cassini 4:

In the last release, a long time aggressive group of people led by Keith, did as they have done for ages, flamed Cassini to no end.

The 2 largest complaints (aside from Cassini being based on GiriGiri) is the use of 2 tools added in 3.0.

The first, a slightly modified version of CDmage.

Keith and his cronies seem to feel unless THEY have copies of each and every email of communication Team Cassini has, that it must not exist and thus they have the right to cause flame wars.

(It is bad enough the amount of hatred displayed on their own forum, but then they try to repeatedly flood our own forums with their hate. They go too far however when they begin to make threats of physical injury (and for this, and this alone, have been reported to watch groups for internet violence).

On their forums, they bitch and bitch to no end that Team Cassini refuses to address their flames in this matter.

And why should we?

When our own forums were down for a move to a new location, they used the time to

spread rumors and outright lies that Cassini was shut down for criminal activities

when nothing could be further from the truth.

We have better things to do then waste time with all their hatred.

None the less...

>>

-------Original Message-------

Date: 04/9/03 16:42:44

To: cdm@orcon.net.nz

Subject: Permission

I am interested in using your tool for its 2535 capabilities in a project I am working on.

-------Received Message-------

Date: 04/12/03 13:02:28

To: Snail

Subject: RE: Permission

meh, it's there for use by all

>>

Next, was the outrage caused by the new loader.

I want to make it clear, that the code was submitted for use by Team Cassini.

Those submitting the code were credited.

The code was modified to work with the Cassini Emulator (which it did not prior.)

The problem comes in that, claims have been made that those who submitted the code did not make it.

Keith and his cronies have accused Team Cassini of having "stolen" the code.

They do not care what so ever about who "leaked" the code.

At their forum they deleted every post made to clarify and defend this situation.

They attempted to flood and destroy the Cassini forums.

Next, they made claim to all the work, on other emu sites, and continue to trash it on their own forums.

"Thank you Keith for the updated status of this emulator and its new features!"

This is on NGEmu, EmuFanatics, Emus4You, and likely more.

Keith... who has nothing to do with Cassini, and hosts the CRAPsinni hate forum.

Within the past week, many people have stepped up to claim the code as their own;

(most of them with IP's matching those from Crapsinni) and even claimed work done by Snail,

as entirely their own.

Clearly, many liars in all at Crapsinni.

This has resulted in our banning of several users, placing security and rules on the forum,

and making it clear, Team Cassini will NOT tolerate this sort of behavior,

especially from Crapsinni supporters, a.k.a. EmuTalk.

Given the long time Keith and his supporters have attacked Cassini, it is very much believed

this situation was caused intentionally.

The one and only person with possible legitimate claim, is the one who never made any.

As such, since credit was given where thought due, since the code has been changed to work on Cassini,

since so many people have lied about development of the code, and since the one possible person

that may have started the original code has acted as they have, the code will remain as is.

Further, far more scrutiny will be given to outside support of the project.

Also...

Added a new tool, with even more supports.

GSaturn, is a .NET frontend/multitool, that to my knowledge is a 100% work by

Lau Han Ching (minor alterations to work on Cassini).

One of the largest flames against Cassini, is that it is not 100%

"our" work. Well, I took at look at what Crapsinni they had to say about Lau's

work. Guess what... flamed as well.

In May, EmuTalk, a.k.a. Crapsinni, even started sending Lau virii and flames via e-mail... sound familiar?

Several Cassini members had to change email accounts over the past couple weeks from simular attacks.

The point is, Keith and his cronies are all about flaming, hate, and destroying anything they don't have total control over.

They have lied, flamed, attacked, trashed forums, made personal threats, sent virii, spammed e-mail, attacked servers, and all over something, they claim,

is shit and they could care less about.

Keith will tell you he's not about hate at all and make invites to forums, only then to make it into a bashing.

Our choice to ban these sort of people, remove their posts, and refuse to step down to their level, is not to be anti-social, rather,

it is to brush them aside without resorting to the same sort of attacks they use on others.

>>>

Date: 07/30/05 09:55:12

To: gsaturntool

Subject: Permission

Hello.

I am requesting your permission to use your GoGo frontend in our Sega Saturn project.

You will receive full credit for your work.

I ask, as it will have to be modified to work with our files.

This we can do ourselves, we merely seek your permission to do so.

Date: 07/31/05 02:15:45

To: Snail

Subject: RE: Permission

It is freeware. Use At Your Own Risk

I am being all to glad to be included.

I received no support at other places so am I being very honored.

>>>

Lastly, this post on the Cassini forums (go register and read, you might learn something).

Very lastly, if other emulators are so awesome and Cassini is such a pile of shit why is the following track record for Saturn emulators on my system as follows:

Satourne 1.1p: CRASHES (GPF) ON "START EMULATION"

Saturnin 0.31: CHURNS FOR A SHORT TIME AND THEN EITHER CRASHES (GPF) OR JUST DIES SILENTLY

Yabause 0.5.0: RUNS - SLOW - VDP2 SUPPORT LIMITED AND BUGGY

Cassini 4: RUNS - MINIMAL SLOWDOWN - OCCASIONAL BUGS DO NOT AFFECT GAMEPLAY TERRIBLY (with very few exceptions e.g. odd layer priority bug - reported on Cassini forums by me)

Attachments

• email1.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 128
Originally posted by Quick Man@Mon, 2005-10-17 @ 10:13 PM

Very lastly, if other emulators are so awesome and Cassini is such a pile of shit why is the following track record for Saturn emulators on my system as follows:

Satourne 1.1p: CRASHES (GPF) ON "START EMULATION"

Saturnin 0.31: CHURNS FOR A SHORT TIME AND THEN EITHER CRASHES (GPF) OR JUST DIES SILENTLY

Yabause 0.5.0: RUNS - SLOW - VDP2 SUPPORT LIMITED AND BUGGY

Cassini 4: RUNS - MINIMAL SLOWDOWN - OCCASIONAL BUGS DO NOT AFFECT GAMEPLAY TERRIBLY (with very few exceptions e.g. odd layer priority bug - reported on Cassini forums by me)

[post=140797]Quoted post[/post]​

You forgot :

Girigiri : awesome emulator, which runs a bunch of saturn games at full speed

Cassini : dirty hack of the previous one, less compatible, but already in it's 4th version

:hehehe:

Stop talking about things you don't understand :flamethrower:

>>>

Date: 23/09/05 12:30:12

To: Sega Of America

Subject: Requesting rights

Hello.

I am requesting the rights to girigiri and the sega saturn.

Thank you

Date: 07/31/05 02:15:45

To: AmonX

Subject: RE: Requesting rights

Hello, how are your gentlemen?

All your base are belong to us.

>>>

PWNED

Less compatible? I'm calling bullshit on that one until you can provide some evidence.

I'll also take your lack of comment on my other points as an inability to argue against them.

Amon, if you haven't got anything worthwhile to say, don't say anything.

Originally posted by Quick Man@Mon, 2005-10-17 @ 11:25 PM

Less compatible? I'm calling bullshit on that one until you can provide some evidence.

I'll also take your lack of comment on my other points as an inability to argue against them.

[post=140800]Quoted post[/post]​

Evidence were posted on cassini forum, but they're deleted as soon as they're posted ...

And for your other "points", you're absolutly right, I don't have anything to say as I already stated what was my position toward this numerous times ...

One thing though : as Snail appears to be your own god, what the hell are you still doing around here ? Why don't you go back to Snail's own little fantasy world, where everybody saying anything about his "work" that doesn't complies to the way that he sees things is just banned ?

Sorry, I'm talking too much, and you don't deserve it.

Goodbye.

Originally posted by Runik

On a complete unrelated note (sort of) ... why do I appear as the topic starter here in the dev section ?
Sorry, that was an artifact of how I selected the posts to unapprove/split.

Dear Mr. Zumwalt,

Thank you for e-mailing Sega Technical Support.

Please feel free to send a addressing your specific concerns to our

corporate office using the following information
:

Sega of America, Inc.

Attention: Legal Department

650 Townsend Street, Suite 650

San Francisco, CA 94103-4908

At this , Sega no longer recognizes the GiriGiri emulator.

The GiriGiri team author Shinya Miyamoto is the original Copyright holder of 2001.

After he left the project and Sega took over, the emulator was short lived.

Sega took over the copyrights up to 2003 and never renewed them after the

theft of the unlock code to the commercial release and the project was canned.

Sega does not have any future plans for GiriGiri at this ,

and as you point out, the recent take over of Sega, will not likely even

consider emulation, as Sammy will be focusing on arcade systems.

Sega has never supported outside development, and never likely will.

All Sega systems and Games remain protected.

Sincerely,

-Sandi

Sega of America Technical Support

(emphasis added, obviously)

I have seen this email, and for the umpteenth time:

- A tech support rep telling you to contact the legal department does not confer permission to plagiarize an emulator.

- Sega is not the original author of GiriGiri, and no one has made clear the status of Shinya Miyamoto's potential claims to authorship / copyrights in the Cyberdisc emulator. The wording in the email is ambiguous (the copyright itself would not have been up for renewal; see below), but the most plausible scenario is that Sega's license from Shinya Miyamoto expired, with all rights in the GiriGiri core reverting to him. In any case, it is highly unlikely that Sega of America Technical Support would be in a position to give consent on behalf of Shinya Miyamoto's copyright claim.

- If there was a "theft of the unlock code", it has nothing to do with Gav's GiriGiri hack.

- Under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, to which virtually all industrialized nations except Taiwan are signatories, copyrights last a minimum of 50 years unless explicitly placed into the public domain by the copyright holder, and are recongized by all signatories. Thus, the Japanese copyright on GiriGiri/Cyberdisc has full effect in the United States of America and in nations throughout the world until the copyright holder says otherwise or until about 2051 at the earliest (and at least a quarter-century later in the United States).

Look, I'm not some rabid anti-warez crusader. If the "Cassini Team" had just put together a package of hacked GiriGiri and some other tools and called it what it was, I wouldn't bat an eye. But they've postured it as a new emulator, claimed that it was "open source" when they never had the source to begin with (and tried to pass off a huge chunk of disassembled code as "source") made ridiculous claims about rewriting large parts of it, relabeled other peoples' work as their own, and generally tried to project a fradulent veneer of legitimacy around their little project.

Third, this excerpt from the changelog for Cassini 4:

I see permission for use (not relabeling) of one non-vital component of the Cassini package, preceded by a lot of whining by Snail as to how people are so unfair for despising his hatchet job on GiriGiri and taking of credit for other people's work. As Waring Hudsucker would say, tough titty toenails.

Lastly, this post on the Cassini forums (go register and read, you might learn something).
Of course, their forum is not a very useful place to see this resolved, as they merely delete views that do not support Cassini, or even ask reasonable questions about its legitimacy. Snail himself says that "no further debates, flames, or complaints about legality will be tollerated". In contrast, I have merely removed your posts from a thread where they were off-topic and gave them their own thread. In fact, the original Cassini thread started by Barnito a year ago is still on SX. So if you want to talk about ignorance and being aware of other peoples' points of view, I think SX has a better track record than the Cassini forum.

I was about to write a huge tirade about this, but decided on a more creative solution. So I posted this on the Cassini forums and ask the following question:

Where can I, a normal guy on a fairly low budget of around £35, get a PC commlink card for use with the Action Replay for testing Saturn demos? All I need is one of these and I can ditch emulators entirely.

And now I think I'm coming around to your point of view, given that link you posted to the topic on this forum.

Well, I'm as happy as anyone to put Cassini behind us if you want to talk about serious dev-related subjects, although it would probably be better to start new threads in the future instead of propping this one up.

Where can I, a normal guy on a fairly low budget of around £35, get a PC commlink card for use with the Action Replay for testing Saturn demos?

I don't think you should need quite that much, unless you get hosed on shipping. The biggest issue with commslink is that all of the cards are ISA cards, so you can't install them in a modern system. If your system is older or you have a spare one sitting around, it really can't be beat for dev though. Another option is the Free Wing parallel port adapter design, but you'd have to build that yourself, and it's not supported by all the comms tools out there (the logical protocol is the same since you're still talking to the AR's comms port, but the software has to "manually" control the mux/demux hardware on the adapter). When it's done, Mask of Destiny's transfer cable will be even simpler to build than the Free Wing adapter (to the best of my knowledge the connection is 100% passive, could probably be made without even soldering), but will need all-new client/Saturn software and a boot disc.

Rockin'-B has a thread with sources for comms cards here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back