Panzer Dragoon

Amon

Staff member
Panzer Dragoon is a rail shooter released on the Sega Saturn in 1995, and later released on PC, PS2 and as an extra in Panzer Dragoon Orta for XBOX. It follows the story of Keil Fluge, a member of a hunter party who encounters a fight between two dragons, coloured black and blue. The rider of the blue dragon is mortally wounded in the battle and entrusts his mission, as well as his dragon, the Solo Wing, to Keil. Keil must stop the Dark Dragon from reactivating an ancient ruin.

This chapter would introduce the basic features of the traditional gameplay that the Panzer series would be known by, starting out as a rail shooter giving the player a choice of two main offences: a lock-on laser weapon, and a rapid fire gun weapon, as well as the ability to swing the cameras around to shoot the enemies coming from all directions.

Panzer Dragoon was one of the few games available at the Sega Saturn's accelerated, surprise launch.

The game was later ported to Windows PC and in 2006 adapted slightly for Sega's Japanese PlayStation 2 "AGES 2500" series. A port of the PC version was also included as a bonus with Panzer Dragoon Orta.

One of Panzer Dragoon's major artistical influences was Moebius' (Jean Giraud) Arzach, a comic book series created by the French artist. He even contributed in the creative process of Team Andromeda's game with original artwork.

Attachments

• Panzer_Dragoon_Boxart.jpg
    Panzer_Dragoon_Boxart.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 190
Nice choice, this game was one of the first games showing what could do a 32 bits console with a unique design. It was one of the games the most shown before the launch of the Saturn. Thing I like is the lock on sound before killing enemies. :)

Another innovative saturn game. This game has a great atmosphere with creatures that dont show relations to common stuff. Great challenge as well, some levels have a lot of enemies to keep you aiming everywhere. Overall a must have.

even though zwei improved alot on the first panzer, this one is still my favorite. I remember when i was a child playing the first level at best buy when it came out and being blown away by the level design and by the fact that i was flying a dragon in 3d.............good ole days

Back