Official bootdisk useful?

I've 'inherited' an official Sega bootdisk from a defunct developer... Is it of any use? Can I use it to boot backups?

"it could get the developer in trouble possibly though "

Exactly, so I'd rather not say.

How could a defunct developer get into trouble? I think he was bullshitting you guys, and you are fell for it hook, line and sinker....If I'm wrong (I hope I am, and made to look like an idiot, because this IS the holy grail of Saturn cd's...) Then we'll see..

But silence for over a week now, looks like he was just a lamer...

Just seems odd that somone who gets his hands on something like this is totally cluless about how to ripp it, and very withdrawn from any response to advice.....

those bootdiscs DO exist, that's known and confirmed. wether he got one or not is a different thing, tho.

Oh yeah I know they are out there, But I doubt he has it....there's always gonna be a lamer who pretends to have something that everyone's after( just look at any Bleemcast! forum, there's more than enough tossers pretneding to have a working ripp)

It's just I really can't stand anyone who rather than help the developent of some tool, would rather gets everyone's hopes up for sad moronic reason...again I really Hope I'm proven wrong and he releases it and I'm made to eat my words :)

(Edited by DarkForce at 2:38 pm on Sep. 9, 2001)

How could a defunct developer get into trouble?

Just because a developer is "defunct" doesn't necessarily mean that the individuals who worked there don't have legal responsibilities. I don't see any reason why individuals couldn't still be under NDAs or similar contracts that would forbid leaking the boot disc.

yeah but it's pretty lame to think by him giving the bootdisc image, there gonna track him down with the FBI, CIA , MI6, and Interpol is it? the saturn is history, Sega isn't get it's knickers into a twist if they suddenly hear of a Saturn Bootdisc on the net are they?

The only way they could possibly get into trouble( and I doubt the the NDA's would still be effective if the company has ceased to exist..) is IF the boot discs carried a developer-specific ID, that was copied and distributed from the original..otherwise the task would be near impossible because of

a) the time that has passed sinced the saturn's demise

B) the Age of the dev kits/cd's

c) the VERY limited resources of Sega Ltd

d)Sega no longer recoups any money from Saturn games...why spend £100,000 on writs/legal teams/ when the possible effect is they lose...£0???

in otherwords, it's bloody unlikely...trust me I know a bit about the industry, nothing would happen...

Curiouser and curiouser.

Dogbert was just 'on the boards' but didn't reply.

[spelling]

(Edited by mal at 9:23 am on Sep. 11, 2001)

OK, sorry for the delay, guys, been too busy to do much because of work, and in addition, clonecd really didn't like the CDROMs on the first two PCs I tried.

I've got a nice little 10.1MB image etc sitting here on a CDR, I just need somewhere to upload it to....

And, yes, naming the dev could still get them into trouble - there's such a thing as burning bridges, NDAs or no NDAs.

There are other 'well established' FTPs that would welcome such a CD.

Check out lockecole2's or Lerpa's perhaps.

I'm glad this wasn't all just hot air :)

Well we have yet to see that, if it is, I have to eat my words, kinda looking forward to that if it means i can get a saturn boot cd....until then....I'll hold off on the celebrations...anyone got the image yet? or are we looking at another 3+weeks before another 'development' If your worried about the developer getting into trouble have somone who know's what there doing, look at the cd for ya..maybe check/remove and dev id's hidden around the image..

If you want, you can always try upping it to my ftp. I might have my share of problems with the ftp, but I'd like to think I'm well established also. I'm here for the long haul.

After that I could up it to a couple others, if you so desire.

Personally, both my gaming Saturn's are modded, but I'd LOVE to check it out for curiosity's sake. (also, it would probably help me out immensely with booting homemade saturn games on many different machine's, without having to worry about modding them all. As I sated in the Developer's forum a couple weeks back. I've got a team working on just that. Developing a Saturn game. :) )

Yeah, I saw someone on there right after I made the post. Guess that was you. I don't know what happened there, sorry. You're always welcome to try again. Hopefully it'll work. If not, than I dunno. I'll try to grab it from wherever it gets upped. Seems like everyone on here that has an ftp has been having a slew of problems as of late.

Back