No offense, but a few links.

I'm sure you guys all already know about these, but since it hasn't been mentioned and for those who don't:

SNES Music: http://www.zophar.net/zsnes/spc/

NES Music: http://www.zophar.net/nsf/

N64 Music: http://www.zophar.net/usf/

Using winamp plug-ins and MP3 encoders you can achieve what I think would be the same results as these torrents for far less bandwidth usage.

If anyone here could explain to me why there is a need to make MP3 form of 8 Bit music, please explain.

Edit: ah, it seems someone did mention it. never mind this then. Either way I'll leave it for you guys to do what you wish.

Auritribe said:
Using winamp plug-ins and MP3 encoders you can achieve what I think would be the same results as these torrents for far less bandwidth usage.

What you fail to mention is that these files are not from the audio converted CD that the company released, but from the game itself; or from the rom game. I would ask you to compare a usf file with the audio CD track, bit for bit, and tell me if you see a difference. Hearing wise, that's subjective because everyone's hearing is different.

Auritribe said:
If anyone here could explain to me why there is a need to make MP3 form of 8 Bit music, please explain.

One reason is that the company released an official CD; thus giving you a higher quality audio than its usf counterpart.

So, usf < Official Soundtrack.

Also, most portable players don’t support these rom formats (which would be cool if they did because you can fit a gazillion soundtrack in a regular Ipod). So, there will always be transcodings. And those who transcode these files into mp3, and release them to the public should be shot if an official CD has been released.

All true, and I'll even admit that the soundtracks do sound better, especially with SNES music. I remember comparing CT music from SPC to MP3 soundtrack, quality was much better.

however, I dont think this is so much due to the quality of the sound itself, as it is re-mastering of the music. When I listened to the OST's, they added a bit of reverb and effects to make the sound less 'raw'

However, with USF's I really can't tell much of a difference, for the life of me. Especially when I use effects plug-ins in winamp.

The comment that made me change my mind was elsewhere in one of the music boards, someone asked a question and it was answered that.

Aurtribe said:
When I listened to the OST's, they added a bit of reverb and effects to make the sound less 'raw'

Yea, I think so too.

Aurtribe said:
However, with USF's I really can't tell much of a difference, for the life of me. Especially when I use effects plug-ins in winamp.

I'm the same way with some of the music. For instance, take FF7. The psf version of the intro sounds better, to me, than the one on the CD. When I heard the one on the CD, I was like, "WTF? This isn't the song I remember." I only wish my freakin Ilo was able to read these files. That would kick some serious ass man. I would have 80 soundtracks on that sucker. :)

: nods : It certainly does differ. I own the Tales of Destiny game, bought the soundtrack separately, and have the .psf library - and since the .psf files have a more tin-like, nes-music feel to them (even a little darker/more serious) I prefer the .psfs I remember acquiring the Tod soundtrack years ago and thinking "this isn't what I ordered", it being music made before it's appropriations into the game. It's good to know that when you own the game, you are legally entitled to the soundtrack (the .psf, .spc, .nsf, .usf).

Back