My favorite Mod...

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
After years of searching I have finally found my favorite module track. Thought it was lost. Heard it in 98 and not since.

Crystal Hammer

Do you have any favorite module tracks?

My favorite MOD tune is an old Amiga module called Beta5... it's a FutureComposer tune and was used in a few cracktros and the like. There are a few other cracktro tunes that really stand out for me as well. Other than that, I really like the tunes from the classic demo 3D Demo II, and anything by Da Jormas.

Heh - I love tracking. :)

I've got quite a few favourites. Northern Sky (Chris Jarvis of the Kosmic Free Music Foundation) is up there. Also a really cool Impulse Tracker filter demo emulating the Roland 303 - simply 303.IT - is pretty incredible.

Maybe I'll upload some of my few completed tracks. ;)

"Modules" are wavetable synthesis music formats that originated on the Amiga. The programs modules are made with are called trackers.

Module tracks are similar in principle to MIDI, except that the file contains the sound samples so that you hopefully always hear it the way the composer intended (crappy speakers and player implementations notwithstanding). They originated on Amiga, and there are different formats that each originated with a program for composing modules (called a tracker). If you hear someone refer to the number of "channels" in a mod, that's how many sound channels it has, and therefore how many sounds / effects can be mixed together at a time (without pre-mixing them into a sample, which is often done for chords). The first trackers were 4-channel, because the Amiga's sound hardware natively supports 4 output channels. Later trackers added software mixing to support more channels.

And I've gotten rather attached to Ice Frontier by Skaven / Future Crew for some reason. :)

Favorite SID tune anyone? Mine is '64er Intro' ... by Markt & Technik.

Also, for anyone who likes this type of music, I highly suggest you point your browser here: http://www.scenemusic.net/ , and tune in to Nectarine radio!

Point of Departure is really cool. I love it.

Still like Crystal Hammer better but its good stuff.

Also the old tunes that they used to put in the cracks/installers to the old games in the zeraw scene were totally kick ass.

Anything by the tracker "Tarantula" tends to be up in my favourites. ALso Betrayer has some pretty good stuff. Remixes of old metal songs.

My favorite mod tune was the one that played in the background while you were installing Crusader-No Remorse (or was it No Regret? the FIRST game anyway). In fact.. I had to go out on the net in those days and learn what a mod was.. since I could never find the song on the CD.. until I did. I still have that song archived on a CD-R somewhere. Kinda' "Satriani-ish".. awesome guitar riff.. haunting & spooky..

It'd be good if you could dig that out - I'm always on the lookout for good guitar mod tunes. :)

Incidentally, here are a couple of my own compositions that I promised (threatened?) to upload. Neither really count as "mods", but the idea is the same. :)

http://users.tpg.com.au/eccurtis/laydbak.it

A layed back (hence the name) hammond/guitar jam. I'd regard this as my best work in Impulse Tracker. 1.85MB.

http://users.tpg.com.au/eccurtis/slap.it

A bass groove I made years ago. DOn't recall where I ripped the bass/keys from, but the drums are original samples (originally sounded good, later badly mutilated :) ). ~600K

They should play fine in winamp - quite a few of mine dont.

Nahh... the best thing for playing mod files is an Amiga 500, or for Screamtracker/Impulsetracker files, a nice Pentium machine with a Gravis Ultra Sound (best soundcard made, heh).

Originally posted by Curtis@Jan 23, 2004 @ 02:02 AM

It'd be good if you could dig that out - I'm always on the lookout for good guitar mod tunes. :)

Curtis,

It'd been a LONG time since I'd dug this up or had anything to do with "mods". I had to go back clear to a '98 archive disc to grab my players; and then drag out the Crusader game (equally as old). At any rate.. I couldn't find the song except for off the CD and it turned out to be an AMF (Asylum Music Format) file. Don't remember how I converted it to a MOD format back then.. but when I download the latest ModPlug Player tonight.. it played it.

To make a long story short.. while playing it I looked up the embedded info and it turns out.. this was one of Necro's tumes as well! It's called rebel base 2 and can be gotten here as well:

http://www.gibdon.com/necros/scene/necros-rebel_base_2.mod

.. in mod format (sounds even better). The guitar part is rather short (more piano) but for some reason.. still reminds me of Satriani.. and a girl I once knew.. and a shower.. but I won't go there.

I really, really like.. this song.

I like the Vodoo Peoples mod. I'm pretty sure it's available somewhere on the ModArchive.

edit: It might have been an .it or .s3m file now that I think about it...

I'ma go check the mod folder on my Mac now.

Heh, it crashed on me, but I found another MOD I like, it's called "Elysium" and I think it came with the ModPlayer I'm using on it.

it290, favorite SID? One word M.U.L.E.!(well, one acronym I guess :D )

Thanks scorch! It's a top shelf tune, that's for sure. I wish I had the talent/patience for something like that...

Back