• Rise from your gwave!

Looking at getting an import saturn

Discussion in 'Saturn' started by tychomanger, Sep 25, 2003.

1. tychomanger

tychomanger New Member

I'm in the market for a Saturn for playing a number of mainly japanese games (Radiant Silvergun, Layer Section/Galactic Attack,Battle Garegga).

Now second hand Japanese Saturns seem to be hard to come by and very expensive (> $/€100), while local (PAL in my case) ones are much much cheaper. I'm interested in my options here, I see a) Buy Japanese b) Buy US and modhip/action-replay c) Buy European and modhip/action-replay.

If I get a Japanese one then I should not need anything extra unless I want to play US or European games. With the other options I should need a jandaman mod-chip/action replay of some sort (the ability to play any game from any region is apealing). Is the chipping/action-replay typically viable/easy to do - is it a guaranteed to work on any game, or should I just buy a Japanese machine (and not bother at all with getting games from any region).

2. slinga

slinga Member

With a modded saturn you can convert territory codes using a program like Satconv. So you wouldn't need an Action Replay for territory lockout.

3. IBarracudaI

IBarracudaI New Member

slinga is right :)

I would buy a PAL saturn, then get a modboard and an Action Replay, not for bypassing the country lockout, but for the extra ram that allows you playing some games that require it :)

If you're good at soldering jobs you can even try a 50hz/60hz mod :) that way you can make you PAL saturn work like if it was a japanese one.. (well almost.. hehe)

4. mal

mal Member

Nah, just buy one of each (J/US/E) Saturn. ;)

5. Adrock

Adrock New Member

Or Switch the pal one, thats if your interested in original games cos obviously you wont be able to play copies

6. AntiPasta

AntiPasta New Member

well I got a white Saturn + 7 games from Japan for 80e *including* seamail shipping to the Netherlands :cool:

They're not too expensive if you look in the right places, for instance the bargain bin at hard-off :)