How to uninstall MS Messenger?

okay is it just me or does the msn messenger not have an option to just update to the current 6 version? i went to the messenger site and downloaded the new version since there was no update button and after installing it there was still the old messenger on my system!? i figured it would just overwrite the old one. well since then i've reformatted and want to do it right this time. so how do i get the new messenger without having 2 of them installed?

it had both installed. i could use either one i wanted :blink:

nm found it.

If you prefer to remove Windows Messenger manually, click Start, Run and enter the following command:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Note: This will prevent a long delay when opening Outlook Express if you have the Contacts pane enabled. To prevent this, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Right click in the right pane and select New, Dword value. Give it the name Hide Messenger Double click this new entry and set the value to 2.

hey, I know this was posted 2 years ago, but I just found it on a google search and you sorted out my messenger hassle. So thanks if you still read this forum! haha.

Back