Have You Ever Street Raced Before?

is there a different double clutch out there then what i was trained while driving truck... in a rig, double clutching is when you shift without using the clutch.

Originally posted by lordofduct@Jul 14, 2004 @ 02:40 PM

is there a different double clutch out there then what i was trained while driving truck... in a rig, double clutching is when you shift without using the clutch.

Wouldn't that be slightly...ironic? :huh:

I have two understandings of double clutching. One is a race technique that you use to prevent your RPMs dropping while shifting, the other is for cars that date back to a time when gearboxes didn't have a synchonising mechanism to equalise the gear speeds. Apparently you had to "double clutch" to reset the gearbox so the next gear would go in.

that second one is what i was taught as double clutching. You dont need the clutch for it though, you bring the rpm's up in gear and let off the gas a lil' and pull it out of gear, allow the rpm's to drop to a compensating rpm depending on the type of tranny and engine you have, and itll slide back into gear. Such as on my focus its at 3500 to 4000 to pull out and 1500 to 1800 to slide back in. Downshifting is in the reverse. 1500 out, 3500 in. It can still be used in cars today. It'll screw up synchronizrs though if you miss though, not good. You better know what your doing when you do it.

Back