Good File Explorer?

mtxblau

Mid Boss
So, I'm using Windows 98, specifically stripped down with 98Lite. I'd like to strip down further using the 95 explorer, except 95's file management browser is *terrible*.

That being said, does anyone know of a good third party file browser? Something with a tree view?

I know this is going back to the 3.11 days, and I'm not finding any good results from download.com (unless I'm searching wrong).

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Thu, 2005-12-08 @ 11:53 AM

I ironically gave dl.com another try, and on the last one I found this:

http://www.download.com/2xExplorer-Z1/3000...tml?tag=lst-0-1

2xExplorer, freeware to boot. For my needs, it's more than enough. I do like the bookmark feature.

[post=142338]Quoted post[/post]​

I might give that a try and I am annoyed with Microsoft... mainly windows stuff like i.e/explorer. Unfortunately for school I need MS XP Pro... with iis. Any experience with that program and network drives/computers?

Found a funny quote that made me laugh though.

Microsoft windows - 32-bit extentions and a graphics shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system origionally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor written by a 2-bit company

It's quite good with mapped drives. I like the double pane view with the bookmarks (extremely helpful). Even better, you can copy and paste with multiple windows open, so a tri pane view (tree far left, folders in the middle and right) can copy to another open set of windows.

Of course all usual shortcuts apply. Win95's explorer had very limited cut and paste, and this doesn't seem to be affected by it at all.

And finally, it's super fast. As fast as windows' explorer (and technically superior since it doesn't rely on windows' explorer at all).

There's a newer version apparently:

http://zabkat.com/

So in regards to networks, it might be more helpful.

Also, if you so desire, a stripped down XP might be very helpful:

www.litepc.com

I'm thinking of dual booting (the audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA card runs only under xp and 2000) and this might just be the ticket.

Originally posted by Amon

Found a funny quote that made me laugh though.

Microsoft windows - 32-bit extentions and a graphics shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system origionally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor written by a 2-bit company
That's incomplete. The end is supposed to say "written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition. :D

Total Commander if you want to be oldschool (think NC from the dos days), or FAR Commander if you want to be REALLY REALLY oldschool.

Originally posted by LocalH@Mon, 2005-12-12 @ 10:06 PM

I'll second that. DOpus owns all file managers. I've been a longtime fan, since DOpus4 on the Amiga.

[post=142466]Quoted post[/post]​

It's very old and other versions tend to suck, but "LIST Version 7.7a" by Vernon D. Buerg has been my #1 most used tool for managing files in DOS. It can't handle dirs with a lot of files or long filenames, but is very good for quickly browsing files. Having a built-in hex editor and spawning DOS EDIT with a single keystroke is a big plus in my book. :)

Back